Pascal in M15x: The Final Verdict!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Do you know which 980M's work? And where would be the best place to get them cheap? I was hoping to get kinda newish ones. I need both GPU heatsinks and SLI cable as well though which will bring up the costs.

There's a guy selling dual 970M here on the forums but I don't think it's worth going 970M SLI in a machine like this.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ssj92 likes this.
  3. cleber

cleber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Raidriar would to thank you to very nice job on test pascal on M15x. I was away for a month and read your inputs about the unsucessfull test of 1070 on old school M15x today. For now i know that my theory was wrong even knowing that lvds don’t work in pascal.

My m15x still rocks like a beast with 920xm and undevolted/underclocked 980m. Cheers for you availability and support at forum!

4. Raidriar

Reputations:
    No problem friend we are all enthusiasts here :)

5. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry to revive this thread, but is there any chance you tried messing with the EDP igd settings in the bios when trying to get this to work?

6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    I’m not sure what you’re getting at here, but no amount of bios settings will fix a physically missing connector or generate a signal type to run over an incompatible interface. The only reason pascal works in the M18x r2 and other similar systems is because of Optimus and intel hd graphics doing the edp to lvds signal conversion, both of which are entirely absent in the m15x