(Part 2) If U Can Solve This U R King

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Unhappy User, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Unhappy User

Unhappy User Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    can you please share your list of firmwares and drivers?

EC Firmware version

BIOS version

Intel ME Firmware version

Intel Management Engine Driver version

Intel Chipset C230 LPC Controller HM170 driver version

2. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    Later i will try installing trial version of bf1 from origin and test it in multiplayer.

3. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    @Semmy BF1:

Resolution scale is 150% @99% GPU Load. If i reduce it to 100% gpu load is 75%-97%. The same thing happens in the video u linked for me. When he reduced his res. scale to 100% his gpu load decreased to 77%, same laptop. See minute 2:30 in his video.So we can conclude no problem with my system and bf3 is poorly optimized.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those no undervolt / -50mV undervolt scores are all too close to call it anything but run environment differences. If you got 148 once with -50mV undervolt, it counts :)

You should also be able to undervolt quite a bit further, unless your CPU is one of those that won't. Most will typically do -100mV to -220mV, so keep increasing the undervolt, run a couple of benchmark runs of CB to test for not only score but also for stability, then try increasing undervolt again.

I usually start at -100mV to see if it's a typical CPU - if I get BSOD I drop down to -50mV, but most are ok at -100mV. I only had 1 CPU that only did -15mV initially.

If -100mV is ok, increase undervolt -10mV at a time until BSOD - or you see a larger than 10 drop in CB score, and then back off +5mV and see what you see.

Many reach at least -140mV to -150mV, some much further, so -50mV isn't enough, unless it is... :)

Prototime and Vasudev like this.
  5. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    hmscott, if using intel XTU, do i have to restart after applying each undervolt?

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes and its a free bloat as well.

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As I already wrote, it was consistently worse with undervolt than with normal voltage. Even tho it was only by 1-2 points, multiple tests have shown that it's consisstent and not just a margin of error. When undervolting, your single core score does seem to be affected, however the multiscore is always the same, which is really odd.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sorry, I don't see it that way. You can have multiple runs one 15 minute period, and a few hours later get a different run. Different tasks running in the background are enough. A couple of points isn't enough, do the math, what's the percentage involved for a 1-2 points over 148? :)

"When undervolting" according to you is -50mV, I'm suggesting that's not as good as most CPU's can do, so give a shot at -100mV and see what scores look like. Then keep going further.

I've undervolted and benchmarked lots of CPU's, and they really only show score differences near the point of instability, if they ever do at all.

I honestly can't believe, in fact have marveled for weeks, that you all have wasted so much time over small differences in benchmark runs. I don't think anything was wrong with @Unhappy User 's original configuration, I think it's all down to novices bumping around in the dark, not knowing enough yet to figure out nothings wrong :)

I'll back out again, I said all the same stuff 2 months ago or so, and you all are still futzing around about nothing.

But, as long as you are all having fun, being entertained by it all, I suppose it's as good a waste of time as any.

I prefer actually gaming to doing nothing in particular, but that's just me :)

0lok and macmyc like this.
  9. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    Everytime i shutdown my laptop, intel xtu resets its undervolt settings and i have to apply them again. Any way to fix this?

Btw now i am consistently getting 680cb in CB R15 without undervolt. I dont why or how. All the changes i made were updating realtek hd audio driver and installing xtu, undervolting by -100mv then reverting it back to 0mv.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I ran them later as well, same result. It doesn't matter how you or I see it, fact is that it runs worse on undervolt, wheter you like it or not. Same observations have been made by 2 other users namely unhappy user and vasudev who had even worse performance difference, but also undervolted more than me.

Also you clearly haven't read the thread, both me and vasudev already stated several times that unhappy users CPU is running perfecly fine. There was never a question about his performance being bad, both me and vasudev pointed out that we both had optimized our CPU's / OS's to reach the performance we currently have, on stock we scored about the same as unhappy user did.

Interesting reality you created tho, thumbs up for that.