(Part 2) If U Can Solve This U R King

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Unhappy User, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Unhappy User

Unhappy User Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Specs: MSI GT62VR, i7-6700HQ, GTX1070, nv 385.69, Windows 10

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all your support on my first thread. I spent some time to narrow down the root causes of my underperforming MSI GT62VR problem. You are my only hope in fixing this. Here are my 3 observations:

1. Constant fluctuations in GPU clock while gaming, even when staring at a wall

2. GPU load constantly fluctuates between 60% and 90% and never reaches and stabilizes at 99% during graphically intensive gameplay like other owners of my laptop

3. Underperforming CPU: i7 6700HQ was benchmarked 106 times by notebookcheck.net and it scored an average of 672 on Cinebench R15. The same laptop as mine scored 678 on Techradar. My CPU scores 644-655 after a cold boot in a bloat-free environment. Similarly, below average CPU scores are observed in 3DMark

Owners of MSI GT62VR, or i7-6700HQ, or GTX1070, may I know if you experience constant fluctuations in GPU clock speed while gaming? And is your GPU load stable at 99% when running graphically intensive games at high performance power plan?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observations 1& 2: GPU Clock & Load Fluctuations

My gtx1070 keeps fluctuating anywhere between 1640Mhz and 1840Mhz every 2 seconds even when not changing scenes or no action is happening. Framerates keep fluctuating a lot as well.

Other users reported steady 99% usage and steady 1840Mhz or 1911Mhz clockspeed while gaming.

Do your games behave the same?

Example: battlefield 3 while staring at wall

Observation 3: Underperforming CPU

Also my CPU is underperforming. My cinebench R15 multicore CPU score is 644, lower than average which is 671 as benchmarked 106 different times by notebookcheck.net. Techradar benchmark of this unit scored 678.

[​IMG]

Gaming performance:

My framerates are low compared to all other owners, but still smooth. Example: in Metro map of Battlefield 3, MSI GT62VR owners get 130-150+fps where i get 80-112fps as u can see in this video. Can u kindly confirm your framerates if you have my specs?

My BIOS CONFIGURATION:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Troubleshooting Covered so Far:

As some of you know, extensive troubleshooting has been done in the first thread on this forum. All software troubleshooting has been covered and it fixed nothing, example: multiple nvidia drivers where installed using DDU, High performance power plans are set, Vsync Gysnc disabled, xbox dvr disabled, clean windows install...All my system drivers are installed from the MSI product page.

Please help me understand what is going on. I believe I need to have my motherboard and/or CPU and/or GPU replaced but I am having difficulty convincing MSI RMA of this problem. They see it as a non-issue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1.) On pascal that's completely normal
    2.) This is the pascal problem u're facing
    3.) 655 is a completely normal score, I've seen it millions of times already.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    I disagree Danish, this is more of My Problem not Pascal Problem. See below and countless other users with GTX 1070 having:

1. Steady GPU clock while gaming battlefield (opposite to me)
    2. High framerate range in multiplayer 140fps to 190fps (opposite to me, 80fps to 112fps)

Again, my observation of poor performance is referenced against other Pascal users of similar specs, so it is more of my problem than pascal problem.

Battlefield 3-GTX1070: Extremely stable GPU Clock

Battlefield 3-GTX1070: Extremely stable GPU Clock

Battlefield 3-GTX1070: Much higher framerates than mine, AMAZINGLY Stable GPU Clock

Countless others with GTX1070 and i7-6700HQ or 7700k are getting up to 60fps higher than me in multiplayer plus a stable and locked GPU clock, unlike my fluctuating one. Even when I am staring at a blank wall in a dark room my GPU clock keeps playing and the framerates lower than other users.

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You cannot compare desktop GPU's to Pascal notebook GPUs.
    This is the pascal problem, this will eventually happen for any notebook at some point, the SMC chip inside the die is doing powersaving while gaming hence your GPU usage and low performance. Something is triggering the card to do some kind of powersaving hence doing your performance issue, this is also known as the "Pascal problem", due to the fact that the chip is crypted which prevents people from writing custom vBios and forcing the chip to perform at best at all times you're basicially stuck with this until you figure out how to stop this.

Wether this is hardware or software based is still unknown, considering the fact that you still have full performance on benchmarks like 3Dmark I take it that it's software based.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unhappy User likes this.
  6. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    To help limit further assumptions and speculations in this thread, can the owners of any GTX1070 notebook with windows 10 (MSI GT, Asus, Sager, Clevo...) please report the behavior of their GPU Clock during heavy gaming, and the degree of fluctuation of framerates in one static scene? Reporting on Battlefield 3 would be ideal and really appreciated.

CPU Bottleneck Investigation: Could it be that my GPU load is not stabilizing at 99% while gaming because the CPU is not pushing frames fast enough to the GPU and hence keeping the GPU more relaxed? i.e. CPU bottleneck? My CPU scores in 3DMark and Cinebench R15 are lower than average and might confirm this theory. However, I am not saying this is an i7-6700HQ problem because it performs great in old games with the GTX1070. I believe something might be wrong with how MY CPU is behaving. How can we further confirm this? Test or tool? Please no speculations. Help me generate numbers.

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Does kBoost work with pascal?

8. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    Updated Screenshots of my BIOS configuration in original post.

9. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    Another owner of my laptop on this forum just reported a score of 687cb on Cinebench R15 without any overclocking. I only get 644-655max. He has GTX1060, I have GTX1070. We both have the MSI GT62VR 6RE with exact same processor and motherboard. Even on the 3rd run he gets a much better score than my cold-boot score. All his scores are equal to or above the average of the i7-6700HQ based on 106 different trials done by noteboocheck.net

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you tried the settings what I sent to you via PM? Any change you noticed after applying it?