Panel - IPS vs TN?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vacationtime, Apr 16, 2018.

1. vacationtime

vacationtime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question: is an IPS panel laptop very very important? I saw some ppl choose ips panel over many other features. Why? Is it really better?

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It depends on what you're going to be doing with the computer. For graphics/content creation, a color-accurate IPS panel is of paramount importance. For gaming, fast response times are generally preferred over vibrancy of the display, and that's where TN would have the advantage.

Ultra Male likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Please be advised, there are good and bad TN and IPS panels out there......IPS doesn't guarantee quality, and TN doesn't guarantee crap. The panels in the M17x R2 and M18x were both TN, but the RGBLED in the M17x R2 exceeds adobe RGB spectrum, and the m18x panel covers 100% of the sRGB spectrum. The only surefire advantage IPS will have over TN is improved viewing angles, the only surefire advantage TN will have is improved response times.

Personally for me...viewing angles don't matter to me because I'm looking at the computer head on all of the time. Color space / accuracy and response times trump viewing angles in my case.

t456, vacationtime and B0B like this.
  4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    If nothing else, the viewing angles on 98% of TN panels are utter garbage. Here's an example.
    [​IMG]

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The screen is what you stare at, so to some degree it's the most important part. It's typically the most difficult part to swap out, so opting for one these days is a no-brainer since the price bump is usually modest. Often you can swap out other parts like memory and drives, but you're stuck with the screen until you sell the notebook.

What an IPS screen will offer you is higher contrast and wide viewing angles. A higher contrast screen can show more of the color range, which makes things look better. With a TN panel, it looks good if the screen is perpendicular to your eyes, but even a ° or two off center can make a noticeable difference in the image quality. It's difficult to maintain such a position for extended periods too.

I will say I've yet to see a bad IPS screen, even if the gamut wasn't particularly high. I'd agree there may be a small subset of users who prefer TN panels like gamers, but for the most part an IPS screen is a better choice unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise, like cost.

6. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem with a TN panel in that case is that you're only going to be looking dead-on at (at best) one point on the display, so much of the display will be at a significant angle.