Panasonic Toughbook Won't Power Up or Charge,No LiGHTS!?! HELP!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by jtstealthuser, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtstealthuser

jtstealthuser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. stiffnecked

stiffnecked Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's says it's missing the harddrive, caddy and optical drive. I think the seller stole your money. Good luck.

3. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    What he is getting at is that the power socket may be broken. I HIGHLY doubt that however based on the last 6 years that Toughbooks generally NEVER have broken power socket problems because they are built better than Toshiba Tecra A9's...

4. jtstealthuser

Reputations:
    Well we live and learn, all in all i have $103.95 in it and guess what, before i went to bed i decided to plug it in with the battery and see if it would charge. as i was setting it down(or tossing it) i noticed the red flashing light of the battery, opened the lid and hit the power button. Powered up just fine and i even got it to boot into windows 2000 or atleast the login page.

5. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If its flashing red it is unrecoverable
    Use the battery to the end of whatever life is in it, but it will no longer charge, so a replacement is needed

Alex

6. jtstealthuser

Reputations:
    I figured that one... Its ok to use it on AC power though correct?

7. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes
    You will want to remove the battery though, as the flashing Red light will drive you nuts

Alex

8. jtstealthuser

Reputations:
    yep already did that long ago. Any ways, i guess i could ask it here, any tips on installing an os through a floppy drive or usb. I know the BIOS doesnt support it but there has to be some way around it. What os should i use and about how much. Also any chance of installing linux or ubuntu and getting the drivers to work half way right/ thank you in advance

9. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I installed DSL linux using a thumb drive and panasonic media pocket floppy drive in my CF-27. When your wallet can afford it get a cd/dvd drive and save yourself a whole lot of headaches, then you can install whatever operating system that you want. I would use nothing less than Windows XP if you have it. BTW Linux mint works fine, however no one has figured out how to get the touchscreen to work under Linux yet. If you search the forums one of our members was working on it and posted alot of info. Glad you got it working so far.

Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.