Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Thread/FAQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    "Picking the optimal offset distance to click can be an inexact science, but for me this calibration method has greatly improved pointer accuracy along the right edge."
    this is also known in broadcast engineering/rf building-repair as "tune for drift" .
    :D:p

yeah ... i agree , these units are not the easiest to load a more up-to-date OS on (ie : not factory original bios and such) .
    and just like on a couple of other models , the install sequence is of paramount importance .

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Try a stripped down version of win7. Win7 lite or maybe evn win7 starter.

3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    What's the full model number of all your 18's?

4. Techno Wizzard

Techno Wizzard Newbie

Reputations:
    cf-18KHHEBBE, 18BHAFXKE, 18BHKFXDE, 18BHAFXKE, 18BHAFXKE, they are all in excellent condition I bought them at an auction they belonged to the revenue I live in I reland

5. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    If you are determined then go with the ide to sata adapter,60gb solid state drives and Windows 7 starter edition,honestly XP sp3 is the best choice,the restore discs are available for them. Or XP on the Mk1's and 7 on the Mk3. They are gonna be slow with regular drives.

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  6. Techno Wizzard

Techno Wizzard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi is the cf-18 kh a mk3 then. do you sell the restore discs for them if so how much thank you for your help

7. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The 18 K is a MK4. The restore disk might be hard finding since its very old. Panasonic does not have them. Someone here might have a link to where to find them.

8. Shawn

Reputations:
    Just a heads up. The restore disks for a mk1 and mk4 are both WinXP. I do have them.
    PM me for details

9. kln_nurv

kln_nurv Newbie

Reputations:
    I picked up a CF-18EHLZZX* (actual configuration. sticker says CF-18EC2BXS) a few weeks ago and would like to share some mods in progress. Feedback is welcome and I can post pictures or better howtos upon request.

Wifi:
    I added an intel 2200bg mini pci card and it works fine. As my machine has no built in antennas, not even the antenna junction board, I am using a pcb strio antenna from an old dell optiplex pc. with some electric tape on both sides it fits snugly in the space between the hard disk and the battery compartments. I plan to add a proper antenna to the screen soon, and possibly put an sma connector in the circular hole at back right. I assume this hole is for an external 3g or gps antenna if the factory option is installed. If I am satisfied with overall performance (I use this machine for wireless troubleshooting) I will swap out the intel card for an ubiquiti card with better sensitivity and more antenna connectors.

3g:
    I noticed that the antenna connector of a sierra wireless aircard 850/860 placed in the lower pc card slot matches one of the holes in the alloy cover of the card slot compartment. If I can find or make an appropriate rubber plug, I will cut away the plastic to expose the hole and use a straight pigtail with an external antenna.

GPS:
    I have a hp navigation fob, a roughly egg-sized bluetooth gps receiver which I might be able to modify into an internal rs232 based receiver. I have an ftdi usb-rs232 dongle I (mostly) dont mind cutting open. The gps receiver has a jack for an external antenna.

Antennas:
    I have been trying to design some sort of bracket that can hold multiple external antennas behind the screen. I havent built anything physical yet but I have some ideas. It will be attached with velcro and will probably resemble a miniature pool cue rack, maybe with pigtails attached along the bottom.

MasterBlaster2039 likes this.
  10. Shawn

Reputations:
    Good ideas
    please keep us informed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.