Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Thread/FAQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azTony

azTony Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have:
    I
    CF-18DDAZAMM
    250GB hard drive
    1.24 GB RAM
    Digitizer Pen (new) w/lanyard
    LION battery of course
    AC Adapter
    Internal GPS from Custom Toughbook's (rock solid performance always)
    Built in PC Card Reader and USB & Bluetooth CardBus

Loaded with:
    XP Professional SP3
    Microsoft Office 2003
    OziExplorer mapping software and the entire state of Arizona TOPO maps with southern Utah and Western Ne Mexico maps
    DeLorme TOPO USA 5.0
    Various other misc programs

Everything works and I have the install discs (of course)

I have bought and replaced any port covers that required it and all it tightly sealed.

The case is in good shape with minor wear "features" added for character at no additional charge to you

What should I list it for? Open for suggestions, my golf cart needs batteries. ;-)

2. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would emphasize the custom GPS plus mapping and Office software, and start around $395. Maybe add free shipping and/or Best Offer (ignore the lowballers) after a while if it doesn't sell. Units with factory GPS get a $50-75 premium, and your custom GPS has better performance so include a picture of Winfast Navigator showing all the satellites - get the lockup outdoors, then disconnect but leave the display so you can take a picture indoors.

3. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My guess is the touchscreen went dead, just a coincidence it happened to be at the same time you were loading SP3. Perhaps member Sadlmkr can do a repair, if you ask nice and he doesn't have too many ranch chores to do.

4. Tristan8711

Tristan8711 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks - I'm starting to think that way too, sadly. I'm in the UK, so thanks for the contact re repairs, but I'll have to find someone over here to look at it I guess - much appreciated though.

Tris

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Tristan...,

Linux Speak: In terminal.....
    Code:
    dmesg | grep Touch
    #watch the capital letters and see if your system "sees" the touchscreen components. You may come up with a PS/2 driver on the touchscreen, possibly Fujitsu. Report back and PM if I don't answer.
    Meanwhile start shopping for a 18/19 touchpanel. The new style will not quit on you and the screen will be pretty. :D annnd I'll tell you how to replace it if you need.:thumbsup:

EDIT I had trouble with injecting an image here so here is a link to my post in Toughbooktalk: http://toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=12141#p12141 END EDIT

6. azTony

azTony Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Excellent, I was thing $400 so I am in the ball park. Thanks for the advice. I will be posting up on eBay in a few days.

7. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    Thanks - I will report back here later for the benefit of others, but in the meantime I will PM you for some more details if that's okay?

8. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    For completeness, here is the outcome: I installed Xubuntu 12.04 alongside XP Pro SP3 and for some reason during the process of doing that, the touchscreen started working again. It has worked fine for the last week, and all I have had to do is re-calibrate the touchscreen.

So I would imagine the answer is that the screen is on the blink somewhere alone the line, but for so long as it is working, I'll just roll with it. No doubt it will stop working again at some point!

Thank you for all your kind help, those who responded to my pleas for advice and suggestions. It's very much appreciated.

9. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I don't do likes....but I do like this. Namely letting us know. We are glad to be of service.

Jeff

10. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GRUB = GRand Unified Bootloader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.