Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Thread/FAQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristan8711

Tristan8711 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Jeff - very helpful.

I deleted and re-installed the driver, but no luck.

I don't really need the touchscreen, but it annoys me that it's getting the better of me so far!

I've been meaning to explore Linux, so that's next. I'm on annual leave over the next couple of weeks, so I will have a play with it and see what I can do. Should the touchscreen work right off the bat in Mint, or will I need to do anything to get it to work?

I'm no expert, so will just follow my nose and let you know how I get on!!

Thanks

2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Ramblings:
    O.K. back to basics.
    Set bios to defaults and save.
    Do a power pull re-set.....pull plug, pull battery power and hold switch on a few times to drain argumentative electrics from the mobo.
    Plug in power only and do the bios again as above. (battery uses acpi stuff, we are giving the mobo time to get smart again with no distractions)
    Call Rob and get a MK4 factory restore disk. :D (he will send you an .iso I think for a reasonable fee)<<<<<<<<<<
    If the factory restore does not turn the TS on you have a bad panel.
    Or...use non Pana disks and prepare to be frustrated. Doable but time consuming.
    Did you try deleting SP3?
    On MK4 device manager your touchscreen will be under mice and other pointing devices/touchpad/touchscreen.
    Go ahead and run the SP2 touchscreen driver.....I use Panasonic CF-18 drivers jp as a search. If it does not support you haven't lost anything.
    Better yet load the complete list of drivers in order from the jp site. Instructions are there too plus available here. Install in order. You said you had a week. :)

For a test follow ador's advice as above.

Good luck and for the record, what is your complete model number from first page in bios. The one on the bottom may be wrong.

Jeff :thumbsup:

toughasnails likes this.
  3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Man! for sure its the dreaded ts issue. Mild heat can create that problem. It will be "on and off". Means sometimes it will work and sometimes dead.

TS life is on stage of retirement need a maintenance to get it back again like new.

ohlip

4. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    Thanks Jeff - I'll try Ador's advice. I will also check the sticker against the model number in the bios. My money is on it working with Linux though - just a gut feeling. I don't really need it in XP anyway - especially if I can get it to work in an alternative OS...

I'll report back with progress (assuming I make any!) in due course!

Tris

5. azTony

azTony Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am getting ready to post up my CF-18 for sale and wanted to know how I can get an idea how to price it? The prices are all over the place on Craigslist and eBay and I was wanting to know how I can get an idea what to list for. Any ideas?

6. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes the prices are all over the place on ebay from $100 to $450 but are the higher price ones selling...NO. A little while ago I sold my 18MK5 for $250 shipped. Nothing fancy but in very good shape, no marks on it at all. What kind of shape is yours in, every thing work on it ?

7. MasterBlaster2039

MasterBlaster2039 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2 weeks ago, i bought 6 CF-18s mark 4 for 160 euros a piece. Including bluetooth, wifi, and the GPRS option. Not bad ?

Also, i installed Windows XP sp3 on all, and do not have any problems using the touchscreen. The CF-18s i bought from London are all ex-sewer water ones.

8. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Which is $217.31 in USA Dollar :)

Shawn likes this.
  9. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    What touchscreen driver are you using please?

10. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    Update: I ran Mint 13. No touchscreen still... But no wireless driver either, so no wifi in Linux for now.

I'm creating problems quicker than I am solving them...! I'll try Ubuntu next...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.