Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Thread/FAQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Correct but you can use other makes restore disks. I use to use the factory restore disk from a Motion Computing LE1600/LE800. The disk is a two part system. Disk one is the OS, disk two is the drivers. I just loaded the Panasonic drivers before I got some of the digitizer restore disks.

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes it is ok to post this. Most of the regular members I think new this anyways but my guess the newer members might not know this so thanks for posting this...good info. :thumbsup:

3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I tried that the other day with a gateway disc set,it failed to run in the CF-18. It ran on my mk1 CF-19 but it was a mess,seems that the tablet disc has some added stuff on it from gateway.

But I like the gateway M 275 tablet so I will get another one and be in business.

4. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Motion Computing LE1600 LS800 Recovery Software Discs | eBay

This is the one I have, another option if you have something that can edit ISO files is to rip a copy of that ISO you have and find the gateway drivers folder and delete it. Then burn a new copy of the ISO. I know you can use poweriso for that, I think you can with magiciso also.

5. Tristan8711

Tristan8711 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a CF18 mk4 touchscreen model. I had XP pro SP2 installed, and everything worked fine. Then I installed SP3, and the touchscreen stopped working immediately. Is there a driver that works for SP3? Touchscreen is enabled in the BIOS, but it is not working for some reason. Do you know if there is a common solution to this problem - I cannot be the only person to have XP Pro SP3 running on this spec machine, so I wonder if it is a common problem? Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

6. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Was there any other software besides SP3 you installed or other changes you made at this time.

7. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply - no, I don't think so. I just updated to SP3. I tried updating the driver, but notice the Panasonic site only has a driver for SP2 (which is the one I am using). Does that matter?

It's got minimal software installed. Maybe I should completely un-install and re-install the driver? Thinking about it, I did install and run Malwarebytes and CCleaner before I downloaded and installed SP3 (to get rid of some malware) - could they have removed some reg entries by mistake?

I must confess I don't recall using the touchscreen after I ran those programmes (before I installed SP3). I know it was 100% okay sometime just before I installed SP3, but I can't remember if I used the touchscreen after I used the anti-malware programmes or not. I assume that if they're something to do with it, un-installing and re-installing the driver would cure that, as it would re-create any deleted or removed entries?

In any case, all of the above was within the space of a day or so, so I think there was a specific event that stopped it working - although it seems a bit of a coincidence that I had just installed SP3, I suppose the screen could have failed, rather than it being a driver issue? I hope that isn't the case though!!

8. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    If you have a ubuntu disk or can download and burn one test it out. Starting with ubuntu 10.10 touch works out of the box to make sure it is working.

I would try a full reinstall of the driver then we can go from there.

9. Tristan8711

Reputations:
    Thanks - I will do that.

Can I install Ubuntu OS alongside XP and choose which one at the boot screen?

10. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    You can run Ubuntu or whatever as a Live CD..not installed at all as far as the HDD is concerned. Recommend this as a start.

Personally I run dual boot on most of my units. In that case I use the Ubuntu (or whatever) installer to load Linux alongside Xp on the hdd. I don't load it through M$ at all. Some do.

Synopsis:
    Load XP or W7 first. Boot Linux Live CD and run it. After testing it and if you chose to install to hdd let Linux install it.

On re-boot you will get a grub menu. (I don't know where the name came from)

Choose which OS to run.

Simple answer above. More is available. :D

Mint 13 is a good choice for CF-18. Ubuntu 10.10 is EOL for updates. (end of life) My favorites are 12.04 mate and Mint 15 xfce. ( I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Custom CD that will run on anything that I use for testing.)(Custom just means I added my favorite tweaks and burned a custom disk)
    If the Linux OS you choose gives a PAE error on boot then start with Mint 13.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.