Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Thread/FAQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddydazzer

paddydazzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great and helpful thread ADOR.. rep to you my man..

2. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Thank you to everyone who has sent messages to add to this thread.

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    This is the word of precaution regarding the use of CF-19 HSPDA board(daughter board) into the cf-18. I've checked the schematic between the two and I've found out that one internal USb port is not align to supposed to be into the CF-18. The other usb port I suspect is a complete match into using PCIE term. and all line circuit line port for PCIE. The GPS in is line into ground automatically. It means eventhough if you don't have yet a gps module on the pcie card slot it will dispaly on the bios having a gps.

Now! I will conclude that the daughter board of CF-19 into the CF-18 must only be use for gps installation using PCIE card. Nothind else. It is only a words of precautionary measure but if you gonna do furthet more. Go ahead and explore, Lol

ohlip

4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    .... And my wife just finally gave up the nice 1.2GHz CF-18 I built her....

She says... "I just got a nice new Dell from work!"

So now I have a CF-18 I need to rebuilt/rework/reload....

5. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I have only posted so far what others have reported as working on the CF-19 daughterboard into the CF-18. I do have the parts to test this out, but haven't gone that far with it yet. I also had a sierra wireless card I was going to try out to see if it would work. I know it is recognized by my CF-19 with out a problem. If that would work I was going to get a Gobi 1000/2000 card and see if that would work.

I have experimented with a lot of stuff in the past and have been lucky it hasn't blown up. I even tried a CF-18 daughterboard with gps on it in a CF-28. Connector fits where the rim board goes but the unit wouldn't even power on with it connected.

6. toughresolute

toughresolute Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ADOR,
    Just a big thanks for this thread. Now that I can afford a CF-18, I've bought two in the past month (MK3 & MK5 with 110 hours).Both are touchscreen. I[ve upgraded the RAM on both and am wondering if adding a SSD is possible. If a 2.5 SATA drive is too big with a SATA - IDE converter, then how about a 1.8. Oh, an observation. My MK5 has the rubber keyboard, and although I prefer using the chicklet keyboard, this rubber board is much softer than the rubber keyboard on my CF-28.
    Thanks to all who share info here
    Thoughresolute

7. tango_tough

tango_tough Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The CF-18 had his own HSDPA board,but don't know if it support the gobi module.
    18hsdpa.jpg

8. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    You are welcome. Like I said these have become the new starter toughbook so I just tried to fill the void, and with help from everyone else here we did it. There are different ways to do it depending on what size SSD you want. Some have used the ide to SATA adapter with 90 deg angle. Need to do some cutting on the foam to get it to work on a full size 2.5" SSD. Also 1.8" SSD and adapter is also an option.

9. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I have never seen that exact board. It looks similar the CF-19 WWAN board but it doesn't have dip switch or usb port on it. All of the WWAN units I had were pinned in boards. None of the were M-pci-e boards. If you can get it to recognize GOBI module 1000 or 2000 might work. May have to do the 20 pin mod on it. What model number CF-18 did that come out of if you know?

(Edit) Doing some more looking I see these came in around 2006.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-T...Modem-and-Sim-DL3U11520ABB-1-149/390411576362

If you could fine one of these cards with the hard to find voice out and it would take a GOBI card it would be a top notch setup.

10. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have this card and the bluetooth module, however the bluetooth is not showing up in the bios or in device manager. My model number is CF-18DDAZXMM and wonder if I missed something when I hooked it up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.