Panasonic CF-MX3

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by travelings, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Yawn.....
    10 char

2. Tim Q

Tim Q Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You sure it has Wacom or even a digitizer? This video from Panasonic themselves makes it seem like it isn't - the cursor doesn't appear until the pen touches the screen, and it doesn't disappear when you lift the pen away from the screen. Wouldn't that mean a capacitive stylus?

レッツノート MX3シリーズ 便利なペン操作編(37秒) - YouTube

CF-MX - This is the pen's own product page. Doesn't look like any Wacom pen I've seen either. It doesn't cost as much as any Wacom pen either.

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    This....
    10 char

4. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    None of my Panasonics from Japan - S9, J9, J10, or LX3 have had backlit keyboards. Not a problem.

pierro78 likes this.
  5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    For you maybe... I bought a very nice CF-52 and built it up with an SSD, max RAM, etc... I ended up giving it to my Mom as it didn't have illuminated keys... Something that I have come to need after years of working on the CF-28/29/30 series.

6. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh my gosh, I am obsessed

This laptop is perfect for me!!

Nothing else exists which meets design tradeoffs so perfectly for what I am looking for:
    • Just 2.5 lbs (lighter than a Macbook Air)
    • A durable toughbook made in Japan
    • 12.5" 1920x1080 screen (with slim borders around it, not too fat)
    • Incredible battery life, and the battery's hot-swappable!? And you can get a charger to charge the spare battery while the other one is in use, that's crazy.
    • Amazing port selection! VGA+HDMI, two USB3, SD card, gigabit ethernet, wireless on/off switch, separate headphone/microphone jacks
    • Flips around and becomes a tablet, with digitizer pen!

I'm in love.

Cons:
    • Crazy expensive
    • Only for sale in Japan!! ergh, so hard to purchase / expensive to import and maybe impossible to repair
    • Japanese keyboard

The exclusivity only makes it seem more desirable >.< I'll need it sent to New York.

I'm definitely biting the bullet and ordering one. Maybe it will be a miserable waste of money, but I need to know if this is the perfect machine :) As soon as I find a reasonable way to import it. I asked conics.net for a quote on custom-ordering one (I want a specific configuration you can choose on the panasonic.jp site) but they never replied. Instead dynamism.com is being helpful to get a quote, I'm just hoping the price is not astronomical.

It will probably take at least a month before I get my hands on it, but if/when that happens I will take lots of pictures and write a review!

pierro78 likes this.
  7. Tim Q

Reputations:
    I don't mean to dampen your spirits or anything - but I'd check again on that pen. It looks more like a small tipped capacitive pen rather than a proper digitizer pen: CF-MX

Sure as heck doesn't cost as much as a digitizer pen does either (1500 yen, or 15 USD).

Also a pretty good chance that this uses the same panel that is prone to image retention on the Dell XPS 12, TP Yoga and even Q704 to some extent (Interesting Adventures with New Fujitsu Q704 Tablet/Convertible | Ed Tittel).

8. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Whoops, didn't realize there was a difference between those terms. Good point, the pen probably is not very good, especially compared to the ThinkPad Yoga or the Sony Flip/Duo. Thanks for the heads up.

Hmm. I thought Panasonic made their own screens, but you're probably right, I should track this down carefully to make sure it's not one of the cursed LG's. Hard since there's so little information about the MX3 that isn't in Japanese (google translate only gets me so far) :)

Are you suggesting this problem due to the 12.5" size? Do you have another reason to suspect Panasonic is using LG screens?

9. SantaCluj

SantaCluj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am sorry for my intervention, but finally I see someone who ready to order MX3 :thumbsup:
    First of all, it is not so hard to went through bying rootine.
    You have several options.
    Dynamism
    Rakuten
    ec-club.panasonic.jp
    Using rakuten and ec-club.panasonic.jp may cause You to using of forwarding service like tenso - it is not hard.
    Also, dont forget about accessories like hand strap and KB cover.
    Thanks for Your attention and good luck with Your purchase!

10. Tim Q

Reputations:
    IIRC only LG currently make 12.5 inch 1080p panels for laptops ATM. There doesn't seem to be any other makers that I know of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.