Palm Announces Foleo Mobile Companion with 10-Inch Screen, Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Ed Hardy, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsis

jsis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Soo.... it's a watered-down subnotebook that costs thousand dollar less? I would buy it if it costs like $299, given it's limited functionality. Either that or it's 60% smaller and 80% lighter.

I see Starbucks as picking up a bunch of these if they ever plan on putting an internet kiosk in their coffee shops.

2. chuck232

chuck232 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm with you Andrew, but only partly. It might look cheap in comparison to other subnotebooks, but it is extremely limited. Someone asked about Youtubing and the guy said it could but would be very slow. I guess the ARM-based processor that's probably in it is just too limited to do much more than browse some simple web pages and write some email.

A cheap subnotebook I'll go for, but this? No way, not for $500-600.

3. chong67

chong67 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is silly man.

Why would I want a half working laptop when there are plenty of ultra portable around?

Palm should go back to designing phone.

The latest Treo 755 is nothing more a repackage with lesser battery juice.

4. queshy

queshy Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    yeah, the price is good. but with no touch screen, and no possibility for external mouse....

If manufacturers starting making more barebones UMPCs they would wipe this thing out...like if they had a UMPC that was only 1-200$ more expensive but that ran a full version of windows and had a touch screen, Palm would go out of business practically!

But I can understadn the appeal this device has - the main complaint about documents to go on PDAs is simply the fact that the screen is too small, and any integrated keyboard on the device would be too tiny to be efficient on.

The weight is pretty good, and a 10" screen is good for this machine. I can't wait for a real review to see how it is.

5. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I predict there will be a bunch of very cheap and small linux laptops on ebay within the next year.

6. chuck232

Reputations:
    Although a horrible implementation, I think Palm has opened up a new market - a very cheap, subnotebook that runs a more stripped down version of an OS that is mostly for web browsing/email/word processing. I'm thinking something like the UMPC but in a laptop form factor. It doesn't need very fancy hardware, in fact ARM-based CPUs would probably suffice and help battery power. It doesn't need a hard drive, just maybe 2-4GB of NAND for work when not connected and when it is, it can act basically as a terminal back to a corporate VPN. The ultimate business machine.

Shouldn't be too hard to do for most manufacturers at all. They just need to make sure it's not implemented like Palm's version.

7. yassarian

yassarian Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :D

Not quite a laptop(it doesn't even have the power to play flash videos?!! :eek: )

Not quite a phone(well, it isn't)

A glorified typewriter(read: Alphasmart Dana http://www.alphasmart.com/products/dana-w_In.html)

$600?

All I can say is... meh. ;)

cheers,

yass

8. paulsiu

paulsiu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It reminds me of the same hardware spec as the OLPC. I am wondering if other manufacturer like Quanta and Asus may jump into this spot as well.

Does this thing have a wireless or does it need a Treo around for connectivity?

9. sanpabloguy

sanpabloguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm a Palm fanboy. Love my Treo and ther other Palm devices I've owned. But the Foleo is underwhelming for a number of reasons:

Specs:
    - 10.2-inch color screen (1024x600)
    - SD card slot
    - CompactFlash slot
    - VGA out (1024x768)
    - USB Port
    - Bluetooth
    - Wi-Fi (802.11b only)
    - 256MB of RAM
    - Additional carrier charges
    - No real OS support
    - Limited PIM management
    - Syncs only with a smartphone - not a computer
    - Security - easy to steal, but can be password protected

Just off the top of my head. I expected something more from Palm. There's a possibility this will turn into a very usable tool. Just not right out of the gate (or for several more years).

10. chuck232

Reputations:
    It would be somewhat usable as a portable web browsing/email checking device if it weren't for the fact that it's severely underpowered. I mean it can't even do YouTube properly. What else can it not really do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.