Packard Bell

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by AZZA, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brain_stew

brain_stew Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had nothing but bad experience with Packard Bell computers. My notebook I bought two years ago is a piece of cheap junk that is falling apart, has no battery life and is hotter than my oven. I don't care if they've improved in the last year or two, they're going to have to do a LOT better for me to ever consider them again. They are indeed a very big brand in the UK but are almost exclusively associated with cheap computers.

2. Toetactic

Toetactic Newbie

Reputations:
    Packard Bells are usually sold in stores through huge chaines such as Dixons. So what Packard Bell do is they add a nice looking screen, a fancy design (though ugly in my eyes), so the machine is tempting to the naked eye. Too bad people can't see what's on the inside, because as mentioned earlier in this thread PB buys the cheapest parts they can lay their hands on, except the parts people can see like the screen and chassis. The biggest problem with PB laptops is the battery and battery life. The battery usually lasts 7-10 months, and then you have to buy a new one because the warrany on the battery is 6 months (The cheaper MSI brand has a 2 year warranty on the battery). Battery life? How about a 2000mAH battery in a power hungry machine? Sometimes 4400mAH in the expensive models. And how about no option to buy better batteries with higher capacity? And if you're a little bit careless when you type, buttons will fall off the keyboard, something that's not covered by warranty either. So keyboard and battery quality is CRAP.

I used to work with service in a store that sells PB, FSC, Toshiba, HP, LG and Advent(MSI), and there's definately a lot more problems related to PB than the other brands I mentioned.

3. brain_stew

brain_stew Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can personally verify the keys falling off statement.

4. kguo7

kguo7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about dell? Dell used to be pretty cheap. They can burn up your house as well.

5. shazza40

shazza40 Newbie

Reputations:
    Packard Bell Easynote R9200 help!!!
    Can anyone give me advice. I have a pb notebook as above and the dc jack pin is broken. It is less than a year old but I have been told that this is not covered by the manufacturers guarantee and NO ONE will help. The helplines have passed me around various other helplines, I have been to the local store and have even spoke to PB. I have been told that it will cost £120.00 PLUS PARTS, POSTAGE AND TAX.
    Has anyone else encountered this problem, any advice would be much appreciated.

6. MYK

MYK Newbie NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    In the gulf region, Toyota dominates the market especially Lexus (the high end Toyotas). In Japan, you can get a Toyota fully loaded that is more luxurious than any Lexus out there. It's a matter of taste and needs. I love american cars, but you wouldn't find me dead in a Camaro (which is a great car). It's just that it has a bad rep here in Kuwait.

Before NBR, I used to hate Asus and thought it was a cheap quality laptop. I was obviously wrong and actually thinking of getting one. Don't trash a brand unless you've tried it. Packard bells are great machines, Core Duo, Ati, great screen and lightweight for its size. What's not to like? Notebooks nowadays are like Hamburgers and the bread is not as important as the contents and "special sauces".

7. KGann

KGann NBR Themesong Writer

Reputations:
    First off, Azza, did you really just call someone a "whimp" because they didn't agree with you?

Anyways, Packard Bell was a **** company for YEARS here in the the states. There wasn't a sane mind that would touch one. And for good reason, too! Poor quality, terrible design, bad performance, and a **** lame excuse of a computer.

So now, you are telling me, because they realesed a "new line" of notebooks, we should all forgive them and buy one?! We should look over HP, Compaq, Dell, Acer, Asus, etc., who have been making great PC's for years, for a **** company who claims to have "re-invented" themselves. BULL!

So tell me this- if you bought a Chevy in 1965, and it completly broke down in 1966, you would be quiet angry, correct? Okay, so in 1967, you figure, "heck, I'll give them another shot". In 1968, the truck breaks down. In 1969, you see an add in the paper that says "New Line of Chevy Trucks!". Now, are you telling me you would buy them again, when Ford has been doing just fine for all these years? You would overlook Ford for Chevy, because of a "new line"?! (These were just figures. I honestly couldn't care less if you like Ford or Chevy more)

Remember, you can cover s**t up, wrap it, spray some perfume on it, and call it some fancy French name... but it will always be s**t.

8. Devon

Devon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I will never forget my packard bell 386 sx 16 computer, it took 3 hours to install windows 95 albiet a 386SX probably didn't meet minimum requirements. plus the packard bell slogan when it would boot up brought a tear to my eye, it said "PACKARD BELL, America grew up listening to us, it still does!" and with a slogan like that, you fell like your king **** everytime you boot up that computer. I also had it hooked up to a colour dot matrix printer a panasonic that would take 20 mins to do a full color page print, no joke.

9. sa_ill

sa_ill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Packard Bell is big in the UAE
    Im also plannin to buy one.
    Its an Easynote V Series notebook
    its got x1600 and duo core

10. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Too bad for you. Good luck though.

Better try to find something more reasonale in spite of the big presence of PB on the market in your country. I am sure they will even glue a sticker with "Islamic notebook" in order to sell it to their new victims but it will not change their quality and service to better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.