Packard Bell

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by AZZA, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What is according to you the main reason to favour Packard Bell when one decides about the new notebook purchase? Are all current PB models just rebranded NEC?

2. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My main reasons to buy a PB notebook:

-Diamond View type screen
    -Style

when other specs are not under average. Arent they enough to buy a PB?

3. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not all new PB notebooks are rebadged NECs. Yes most definately the PB DiamondView screen is far superior to many of the other notebook vendors in the UK such as Dell, HP/Compaq and others alike.
    It has been proven in the UK that it is on par with sony's X-Black LCDs

My reasons to buy Packard bell are:

• DiamondView LCD Technology
    • Realtech HD Audio Soundcard
    • Billionton 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Wireless LAN adapter with excellent WiFi range
    • Synaptics superior touchpad control Technology
    • Notebook chassis Style
    • Overall rebustness and excellent quality of their products

4. Clearday

Reputations:
    Such as, I very much think to buy a new brand PB notebook in Turkey, and just seen a well machine in shopping centers...

Packard Bell Easynote "V" series
    -Diamond View LCD Tech
    -ATIMobility Radeon X1600 with up 512MB HyperMemory
    -Pata HDD
    -Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    -Intel® Core™ processor Duo
    -Integrated Hybrid TV Tuner
    -Integrated remote control
    -PowerCinema Software
    -DVD burner DVD+R9
    -Bluetooth technology

regards,
    CDTRF

5. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You guys sound as if PB is the best brand on the market. :)
    Here in Germany it is just one of the cpeap brands, and it
    does not even offer the best price per performance ratio.

I am not surprised that PB is looking for its lack in the markets like Turkey where
    the people are possibly not so well informed about the market qualities of other products and where the corrupt political connections secure the market success. :)

Here there is the next week offer of a PB laptop in a German discount store
    http://www.plus.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP...t?ProductSKU=96172200&RefID=z791597C707781701
    Why I need to buy a Sempron laptop for 799 Euro , if there are Centrino models from other brands already available for 599 Euro?

I agree, the touchpad of PackardBell (that of NEC, right?) looks good, though I haven't tried yet how smoothly it works.

6. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PB is one of the best brands on the market (maybe not the German market but certainly most of the other countries in Europe) Packard Bell notebooks certainly are not cheap as you have proven (thanks for backing up my theory).

OK I'll try to explain this in best i can, Think of BMW and Wolkswagen saloon, both the same size of cars. BMWs are much more expensive but can come with small engines if required. A BMW with a small engine will cost more than a Volkswagen car of the same size with a big powerful engine. The BMW is the better car with all the latest optional extra equipment, however its not as fast or powerful as the volkswagen, but the volkswagen has none of the extra cool equipment that the BMW has.

The PB is the BMW (smaller not as good processor = sempron) and the other notebook vendor (for the benefit of the explanation i shall refer to it as "Notebook X") is the Volkswagen (large better processor = centrino). However Notebook X has none of the superior features of the PB such as DiamondWiew LCD, Synaptics touchpad and visual appeal. The PB is not as powerful but is better quality components etc. Notebook X uses rubbish components, but happens to have a barebones centrino processor.The obvious action to take is to buy the PB that has better materials overall and will last you longer than Notebook X.

Incorrect mate. Turkey is just as knowledgeable with notebooks than in most other large countries and for the benefit of your post, so is UK & Ireland, no notebook vendor will get away with producing mediocre notebooks the UK. As i have said the UK favours PB very well and this proves that PB are no flop. I don't think PB is going to loose any sleep if a couple of notebook nerds on a forum don't like their products, as with everything there must be a reason why some PB notebooks with lesser features are more expensive than other well known notebook vendors with better specs.

Yes finally something we can agree on, the Synaptics touchpad sensor on PB notebooks is top of the line. It is 100% synaptics technology inside, and if you look on their website they explain all their excellent technologies that they have used (http://www.synaptics.com/products/touchpad.cfm)

I think you should give up mate,you're obviously fighting a loosing battle here

7. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AZZA, if you praise PB notebooks, why you don't just praise the original NEC notebooks on which PB has glued its label? On the German site of PB it also represents itself as a "leading brand". However, I don't see where and how
    it is leading and how these notebooks are different from the rest of similar ones.
    The qualities of PB notebooks are just suitable for the budget sector of the market like Uniwill, Twinhead, Clevo etc. Your posts sound like PB is trying to employ the marketing strategy of Alienware which also has been using cheaper barebones and trying to seel them with pomp for double a price one could get those elsewhere. :)

I don't know about Turkey, but I know that the people in Eastern European
    market are in general much less informed about the modern notebooks standards and prices than the people in the Western Europe, and this is exploited by the firms which are specialized on selling low end notebooks.
    Though, I don' know specifically about PB activity in Eastern Europe. Tell PB they might try it there! :p

If you don't mind, I just have fun. On the other hand any firm may have chance to improve, if it chose to.
    The current NEC based models deserve more attention than the previous ones and I hope that PB will progress
    in the price per performance issue. :) I would suggest to learn a lesson from the MSI great performance on the notebook market.

8. Clearday

Reputations:
    Turkey's notebook experiments are far more than Ivar thinking. All world updated and newest notebooks can be sold here. And Turkish users are very capable to say what is best or what is bad...

Turkey has also the only "notebook producer" in the middle east and eastern europe region with its "Vestel". Vestel also sells many notebook materials all over the world, such as Samsung, Philips, Sony...
    Vestel website= http://www.vestel.com/dev_en

And all famous notebook brands have own Turkish sites like below;

Acer
    http://www.acer.com.tr (tr= Turkey)
    Asus
    http://www.asus.com.tr
    Packard Bell
    http://www.packardbell.com/tr/
    MSI
    http://www.msi.com.tr
    IBM(Lenova)
    http://www.ibm.com/tr
    Sony
    www.sony.com.tr
    LG
    http://www.lge.com.tr
    ...many...

9. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    clearday,
    thanks for you information. It is always useful to extend ones horizon.

I remember that I found that the same barebone based Uniwill model
    I write this post from was also "produced" in Azerbaydjan (a samll country
    near to Turkey and Caspian see). So, you are not quite alone in the region.

Actually, I am rather sorry for those who have to spend their money
    for PB notebooks. :eek:

The PB "diamond screen" praised by you is rather usual these days.
    My notebook also has a glossy great looking bright screen which is on par with sony's S-series (in fact, I like mine even more). When I was chosing the laptop one year ago, PB alternative lost because of its depressive design, uncomfortable keyboard, higher weight, and many complains on forums and in a couple of reviews I read, being also 20 or more percent more expensive at the same time. Now, when I know more about different subnotebooks, I
    am happy that I haven't bought Packard Bell.

Btw, what is PB policy regarding the display dead pixels? This is one of the complains I remember.

10. Metamorphical

Metamorphical Good computer user

Reputations:
    You know. There really isn't much Packard Bell representation on NBR. You should represent and review your notebooks.

The last time I saw a PB product was a moniter I played basketball with in highschool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.