Packard Bell

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by AZZA, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know of this brand, its a massive company in Western Europe. They are in partnership with NEC computers

2. Faire

Faire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know it, it's massive here in Chile (Southamerica) too.

3. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my mate is getting the new 17" widescreen Easynote W-series

4. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Rahul

Rahul Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had one of their desktops, seemed to be a very hated company in the U.S, associated with cruddy quality, dropped out of the U.S a few years back.

6. rebthor

rebthor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to fix computers in the local university shop in the US and let me tell you that Packard-Bells were by far the shoddiest pieces of junk you could call a computer. I believe that is why they dropped out of the US market. Now as to their laptops and desktops today I have no idea, but based on my past experience with them I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.

7. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In the UK, Packard Bell is one of the more upmarket brands, and can be comparable to Sony, Toshiba and HP. Their recent prouducts to date have been excellent quality machines.

8. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I doubt that, as I have seen some of PB laptops sold in German supermarkets. Looks really cheap made, so that I have no desire to try them closer. The market is full of this kind of cheaper plastic laptops made by barebone assemblers. PB may be able to compete with them, but not with the major brands.

9. AZZA

AZZA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry i have to disagree with the statement you have made, Packard Bell notebooks in the UK are recognised as a very high quality brand in the UK, they are the third biggest computer brand in the UK just behind Sony and Toshiba, Sony and Toshiba being #1 and #2 respectively. Flagship Packard Bell models are as expensive as flagship Sonys and Toshibas of the same specification. In saying that the Packard Bell in question was of lower quality than can be compared to its rivals, is your opinion only and you are entitled to it. The United Stated may not rate Packard Bell very highly, but in the UK, they are a very popular, sought after and reliable brand with a respectable history.

10. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, when I first encountered this brand I read (on its website) it is one of the leaders on the market. I was puzzled, as I never heard of it.
    Perhaps they sell their notebooks to the industries... that is why. In this way they may avoid real copmpetition.

The model I have seen live was 13". I liked the specs and the form factor but I was rather suspicious about the cheap looking construction and the price which was somewhat higher than that of other producers for similar low end models.

Please tell us more about the good side of PB laptops. Do you mean some specific laptop which is distinguished in its class or just the reputation of the brand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.