Packard Bell Easynote XS20

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by CLB-NL, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borland

borland Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've got it now for 350 quid - very nice toy - only 950 g! Like it to bits. Just need to install full microsoft office and off you go on the business trip. the lack of the optical drive hurts and battery life with wifi enabled is not huge but the size, the weight and full XP is brilliant!

2. CLB-NL

CLB-NL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe you could make some reallife pictures?
    Or maybe we can make something about...
    I'll send the money to you and you buy one for me...
    350 pounds is about 470 euro's (and the normal Dutch price is 530 euro's)

3. colonel

colonel Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just ordered one from PCWORLD.
    Free delivery and 5% off with "you at work" online voucher
    £330 delivered with 1gb mem and 30gb hard disk is way better then eee in my opinion

really looking fwd to it coming.

4. borland

borland Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ... and full XP! eee is overpriced for it's specs

5. colonel

colonel Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah. I love linux. Run a server at home, buts its way behind on the desktop and it critical I get my tmobile dongle working with this thing.

I also think 4gb hardisk, with the potential failure rate of flash mem, put me off the eee.

the main opposition was actually the oqo 01+ (being sold off cheap by expansys at £405). but this has less battery life and 7" is better then 5" :eek: at least for watching movies.

rgds

6. delcam

delcam Newbie

Reputations:
    Dixons, Currys and PC World are now selling the xs20 for £349.99 delivered.

7. delcam

delcam Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree with the comment on the xs being better than the asus, you can get memory upgrade and install xp on the asus, but it all adds to the cost, and then is still lower spec. Don,t know if anyone agrees, but the xs is a better looking machine, looks more like a laptop, than the asus which looks like a hardback book with hinges on!

8. Cam_86

Cam_86 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm very interested in this thing. The biggest reason being the 30gig drive. The Eee simply does not have enough space for it to be a suable machine, imo.

The biggest problem i have with this thing though is:
    -Lack of upgradability. Supposedly, you can upgrade the ram, but it requires you to totally dismantle the thing. If thats true, then this isnt an issue. You only really need to open it once to put 1 stick of 2gig sodimm ram in. If the current ram is soldered in though...
    -They dropped the module slot that was going to hold a dedicated GPS device, travel clock, skype phone, or whatever you chose to drop it in.
    -No longer a touch screen.(it probably wouldnt have been very useful, what with that hinge being incredibly light)
    -Placement of the mouse. I dont know how ANYONE can like this. Sure, it makes sense if you use the thing in your hands, but what about when your at a desk? Put it in the standard location.
    -Constantly rolling the launch date back for north america(was supposed to be Q1 '07.... then Q4'07... Then Jan 20th '08... Now its feb. 15 '08)

Btw, this is a pic of the prototype model. The one that, imo, looked flawless(other then the weak processor and ram.. but you cant really be picky when you're only paying ~$400)
    [​IMG]

9. delcam

delcam Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, got the xs20 last tuesday, nice little gadget but can any owners here tell me how long from switching notebook on it takes to actually log on to their internet provider, I,m running aol 9.0 with norton 360, but takes ages from powering on to log on to internet, approx 20 mins or more.
    I know it,s only a 1.2 processor but surely it shouldn,t take that long?

10. bubba_000

bubba_000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    problem solved:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.