PA71HP6-G

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sicily428, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Geforce2go

Geforce2go Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The screen is HD IPS matt type I believe. It also goes up from 60Hz refresh rate in MSHybrid mode to 75Hz in discrete mode with G-Sync. It's very nice. Idle temps are around 42C for the CPU and 34C for the GPU when surfing the web etc. So far during gaming the CPU hasn't gone over 89C and 69C for the GPU. I've only had it since last Thursday though so that may change.

I'm pretty sure the inside of the Medion Erazer is exactly the same as the Clevo P670HP6-G and P670RS-G as the bottom case is identical. You can see a picture of it on the 4th post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...sager-np8176-8177-owners-lounge.804188/page-3

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Might be true, I think the latest medion erazer series are simply rebranded clevos, earlier they were all MSI.

3. Borto88

Borto88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can try undervolting CPU if you want to keep CPU temperatures lower :)!

Geforce2go likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's just the brand they use for the barebones they have gone for yes.

5. Borto88

Reputations:
    I got this notebook too. I will make a short review today or in the next few days, if you have any question feel free to ask...

6. Geforce2go

Geforce2go Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. After using Intel XTU I under volted the CPU from 0.000mV to -0.110mV that has gone from 89C down to 77C max in Star Wars Battlefront and 84C in Prime95. :)

This CPU undervolt is completely stable and I didn't get any error messages in Prime95 after three hours of testing. Intel Turbo Boost was enabled but I had to increase Turbo Boost Short Power Max and Turbo Boost Power Max to 60.00W and 55.00W respectively otherwise I would get a Power Limit Throttling issue.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. luci_flash

luci_flash Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to know about the palmrest temps (given that you palm is right above the HDD), and about the sound.
    What laptop did you upgrade from?
    Thank you :)

8. Borto88

Reputations:
    First of all I have to apologize if my english will be not perfect, that's not my main language :)

Before this I had an Asus G752VT for one year and then an Asus GL702VM for a couple of weeks, wich I returned due to high temperatures....

I buyed the laptop from an European reseller, with this configuration:

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
    Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
    1st Hard Disk: 1TB SLIM SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
    M.2 SSD Drive: 256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
    Thermal Paste: EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
    Sound Card: 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + Sound BlasterX® Pro-Gaming 720˚
    Bluetooth & Wireless: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0

Appearance

The notebook appears more elegant than in photos. I was worried that a black notebook would became a fingerprint magnet, but it's not.... you can see where you put your hands, but it's not too bad... Of course it's more visibile compared to a silver notebook. The chassis seems to be sturdy and well assembled, the hinges are ok, nothing to complain! The touchpad is ok to me, and the fingerprint sensor works very well.
    I like a lot the keyboard, it's a little spongy, but I like it. I also like it's appearance, it looks good, at half road between a gaming and a professional notebook. The space bar has not the same illumination of the other keys, it's not "surrounded" by light... I say this only to warn other persons that it's made like this...
    My only complain is with the power button, it needs "strong" pressure to activate.... if you push it with light pressure it seems to have click it right, but it does nothing... so you need to push it again with a bit stronger pression :p ! It's not a big problem, it's only a bit strange, you only have to get used to it.

Temperatures:

The notebook seems good to me, at least in normal use. I've downvolted the CPU (-0,120) to reduce temperatures.
    I played For Honor for half an hour and these were the temperatures:

If the notebook lays on the table:
    CPU: average 75°C, max 80°C
    GPU: average 77°C, max 80°C
    If I put something under the notebook to raise the rear a bit:
    CPU: average 67°C, max 73°C
    GPU: average 67°C, max 69°C
    (to make a comparison, with the Asus GL702VM in this situation I reached 84-85°C on both CPU and GPU)

I also made a stress test with AIDA64 and those are the result:

Notebook lays on the table (and with downvolting)
    [​IMG]

Notebook raised on the rear (and with downvolting)

[​IMG]

Notebook lays on the table (and without downvolting)

[​IMG]

These are the worst scenarios, I think the notebook will never reach those temperatures in normal use. The temperatures while playing For Honor seems more reliable to me!

By the way, even if the internal components reach those temperatures during the stress tests, the chassis remain cooler. The palmrest remain cold, the keyboard become a bit warm on the left part, but it's ok, I easily get used to it. I was most worried of the temperatures above the keyboard and on the left above the exhaust, but they are ok. It becomes hot in those parts, but nothing to be worried, it doesn't "hurt", it's only hot. You can put your hands over those parts to warm them if it's cold, lol

I think that the vents curve needs to be adjusted... The vents start running at quite low temperatures (lower than 50°C, which is low to me), and they become annoying... While under stress they become more noisy, but it's normal...

Sound

The speakers seems to be nothing special to me... they are not bad, but also not top notch... they sound loud, but the quality is not so high.... I think the sound is a little bit "metallic", not so much, but a little bit... At highest volume the quality will decrease... They could be ok for gaming, but I won't recommend to listen to music with high expectations. By the way, they are not too bad.

Display

My notebook came with a 120Hz TN Panel. This one, which is used also on the MSI GS73VR :

http://www.panelook.com/N173HHE-G32_Innolux_17.3_LCM_overview_28924.html

This is the sore point... I immediately noticed that the screen was not correctly calibrated, the colours were "fluorescent".. I found an ICC profile in a review of the MSI GS73 and applied it... the colours became better, but I think they still are not perfect... But this is not the worst thing... the panel looks grainy, expecially on white screens... I really can't stand this thing... I read that this can happen on some TN panels, and I'm quite disappointed... unfortunately it wasn't possible to chose an IPS configuration in the store where I buyed it...
    I think I will return the notebook due to this panel, becouse I really don't like it... I don't know if I can say it's "bad", but it's not "good" for sure... the panel on the Asus GL702VM was way better!

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    91c CPU on a slim notebook doesn't seem bad.

TN panels grainy? never heard of it, I'll probably read up on it.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Grain is usually from the anti glare filter used.

aaronne likes this.