P950HR Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by codral, Sep 2, 2018.

1. jpnankervis

jpnankervis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

Same issue with a P950. Keyboard just wont recognize F, B, H, all keys in the same vecinity. Computer is practically new. Contacted Sager support, a guy Wesley that says is a Service Manager, was unhelpfull. Any suggestions on how to get it fixed will be much appreciated.

BioHazard17 likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    When you say unhelpful what happened? If there is a physical issue it would need to come back for repair.

3. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had issues on P650 as well as P950. I think there is an inherent design flaw in Clevo keyboards relating to heat, which sucks as these are gaming laptops that are going to get hot. I don't notice the issues anymore as I game on an external keyboard 99% of the time now, but whenever I am out of the house and decide to play, the issues will always arise.

The first issue existed on both P650 (three different keyboard replacements) and also my current P950HR - that is the W key gets "stuck" while gaming. As in, you release the key, but the character continues to move forward for anywhere between 1-3 seconds. Very very frustrating. This issue happened on every single replacement keyboard so it wasn't a random issue. I concluded that it has to be heat related because the CPU chip is right under the W key area. The issue can be replicated in Notepad as well. Hold down W, let it go after a while, and you will see Ws continue to appear. But this ONLY happens after gaming for some time. Can't replicate this when the machine is cool, no matter how hard I press W. So it almost certainly is heat related.

The other issue is as @jpnankervis mentioned, which I've only noticed on my P950HR where F, B, H, and T will stop working. Again, this usually happens after gaming for some time so again points to heat. But I have usually been able to fix this by spamming on of those keys repeatedly which suddenly brings them back to life.

I think Clevo needs to seriously consider redesigning their keyboards. It's kinda unacceptable for a laptop designed for gaming having a keyboard, and crucial keys like W, fail to function as intended when at high temperatures, which a gaming laptop will inevitably be.

BioHazard17 likes this.
  4. codral

codral Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A few weeks later and it's back and all fixed; it was the keyboard. I suspect Metabox ran out of stock, ordered and meanwhile tried the BIOS thing etc just in case it was an issue with these things. Metabox paid pickup and return and replaced the keyboard free of charge so i certainly can't complain. Best bet is contact reseller and if they suggest something like windows confirm with them it's present in Windows, alternate Windows login, Windows pre boot environment, DOS and BIOS and they can't really argue with that, means it's a hardware or BIOS fault. Try that out if they fob you off. Metabox Australia was brilliant, can definitely recommend their service

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's always good to test devices if you can in the BIOS as above and it does rule out the OS.

6. codral

Reputations:
    FYI, new keyboard having intermittent CTRL key issues already. About to send back again for warranty... After that i'll be buying and installing these things myself. These were supposedly a newer batch, this one lasted 2 months, the original 8 months so they're doing something wrong. Hopefully they last a few months, don't try to sting me more than $30 and I can just look at it as my $10 per month maintenance fee

BioHazard17 likes this.
  7. codral

Reputations:
    Yikes, $100 AUD (so say 75 US) shipped from china for these keyboards, how is that even possible... i'll start researching compatible models to find if there's anything cheaper than a p950 specific one

Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with these keyboards? Is it stress on ribbon cables by heat expansion or does the circuitry warp or is it something mechanical?
    Reason I ask is i might try some really thin heat shielding or something on the new one, has anyone seen this done?

I'm hitting like 65deg CPU and 74 degGPU gaming (this with 60FPS pretty well locked on max graphics on Forza Horizon 3, 4 Tomb Raider Shadow, Witcher 3(except for hair which drops me to 55) etc so am pushing it pretty hard... But it's all going out the vents (I game with it on a custom riser which fully supports it but means CPU and GPU vents are clear as well as 95% of ventilation under chassis). I know that some manufacturers use the keyboard to release heat just because it rises and keyboards don't need to exactly be structural but given my temps I'd like to bounce it back down for the fans to sort out, the top of my keyboard is almost too hot to touch when gaming.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Richteralan

Richteralan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same with my keyboard. WASD and L-SHIFT keys are all sticky.

9. codral

Reputations:
    Any chance that PC has a keyboard that looks like the P950? Possible bad stock according to someone I was talking to... But i also read that clevo sager keyboards are generally crap soo

My keyboard failed in exactly the same way as the first, CTRL, G, left and right

10. codral

Reputations:
    As an update to this keyboard is dying again, so far just the C , CTRL and SPACE keys but this will be the third time I'm returning it (in 6 months) and this time I'm out of warranty so I'm out for postage... Supposedly last time it was replace with a keyboard from a newer model but that didn't help. Genuinely think a PC replacement is all that'll fix it, might have to end up going to ombudsman and settling it that way zzzz, can't see someone from meta/clev/sager sending me a more recent PC in exchange for my unfixab slightly older one

BioHazard17 likes this.