P950HR Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by codral, Sep 2, 2018.

1. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm going to have to send my P950HR back to supplier to have a keyboard issue fixed but am after some insight on exactly what could have happened so i can avoid this in the future.

It's a P950HR, with a backlit keyboard and about a month ago the CTRL key would intermittently not work, about 2 weeks ago they worked less and less and now they only work when the laptop is on a flat surface and only sometimes (e.g. i can't use it on my lap, typing on my lap currently and can confirm not working). To a lesser degree the g key (pressed it 3 times to et it working there) has the same issue as well as the left and right keys which i'm now noticing don't seem to be working at all sometimes. I really love this PC so i've always treated it carefully, had it in a case, left on flat surfaces etc.

I've tried a few things; reseat the ribbon cables, a variety of things around CTRL keys like tappin adjacent keys (which actually sometimes works), booting into a windows PE (as in ruling out drivers), and testin the keyboard at various temparatures and the only thin which makes any difference is whether it's on my lap or on a flat bench. The only thing i've added to this PC is an NVME drive which is mounted on the original spacer and which once removed doesn't fix the issue.

What could this issue be? I can only come up with the chassis bending too much and some connector on the mobo loosening up but it definitely does not appear to be the ribbon on the keyboard.

I've seen the updated version of my PC and am nervous i'll end up with the 160watt model as a replacement so i'd like my PC fixed basically.

Cheers,
    k

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I've seen a couple of P95x which have broken keyboards, they seem to break for no reason.

The cost is also quite massive for those keyboards, so I hope for your sake that it's within warranty.

3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My reseller sells them for around £30 IIRC. You can also find them on Taobao for a decent price.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes it's not an Apple and riveted into a top chassis with a battery glued to it.

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Last time I checked resellers on P9xx boards, they quoted more than that. Which is a joke.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Well then it pays to shop around I guess.

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    if I were to purchase a keyboard for the P950hr at sager, how much would it cost?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I'd have to ask the parts department, I'd you are interested you can always drop sales a line.

jclausius likes this.
  9. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah i bought it in March this year and my warranty is a 1 year premium warranty + 1 year extended so i should be all good on warranty front, they've been really helpful and have got me trying a BIOS flash at the moment and have said keyboard issues (at least south of the equator) like this are rare so it could possibly be that... I had assumed this sounded like some kind of motherboard issue given it's so intermittent and given it changes frequency of occurrence based on whether it's on my lap or a flat surface but if you guys think keyboard issue then that's a load off my mind at least, cheers

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Keyboards are very mechanical, intermittent issues like that are more likely to be related to that.