P870TM1-G /w Prema BIOS OC question

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by HitZ2976, Mar 6, 2020.

1. HitZ2976

HitZ2976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, been running with my beast for near 2 years now, even the awesome @Prema made some custom BIOS with meltdown mitigations OFF for me. I got stuffed 8700k in mine, problem is I dont like how my cpu temps are, even with adaptive undervolt of -170 on 4.7ghz (all cores). I have to drop the clocks to 4.3 to have decent temps. Can anybody recommend me a better way to OC it(static voltage oc?), so I can achieve good temps on 4.7 on all cores. Atm on games like shadow of tomb raider i get 80-85C, heavy stress tests are like 95-100C. I don't have much exp with desktop cpus, but on my MSI with mobile cpu adaptive undervolt always worked fine. Point me in some direction where I can learn how to do it properly.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is it delidded?

3. HitZ2976

Reputations:
    It is. No liquid metal between sink/ihs though.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Was it relidded with sealant or left bare? Is there much difference between the core temps?

5. HitZ2976

Reputations:
    Can't say, because I never removed the heatsink since I bought it, but I assume it was relidded. Also I removed the foil that was on the bottom plate for better ventilation. Temp seems to be almost equal across all cores. Heard people have better performance/temp results with static voltage, but requires a lot of testing until you find what is stable.

Saw few threads here on the forum for some chinese modified heatsink that you can use water cooling, people achieving nice clocks and temps with it, but can't find it anywhere to purchase it.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You should be able to maintain 4.7ghz though really.

7. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Probably time for a repaste.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Also cleaning out the vents if you have not. Compressed air while holding the fans still (or take them out as they are separate)

9. HitZ2976

Reputations:
    I have thoroughly cleaned the fans/heatsink using isopropyl alchohol and toothbrush. My idle temps are well great considering its a laptop (CPU around 39-42C/GPU's 36-39C) i'm using also a (Cooler Master NotePal XL and a USB FAN to push even more cool air under the cooling stand). I think its a time for repaste, been thinking about doing it, but the fact that i would need thermal pads for GPU VRMs always disgusted me. Well, ordered kryonaut and k5 pro. Also noticed that SLI with this laptop is almost impossible for newer games that go more than 60% GPU usage (even with afterburner curve of 0.9v) they reach 90c pretty fast and start throttling. Anyways I'm gonna do the repaste soon, meanwhile i'm up for suggestions what else could be done to get decent temps without gimping the whole thing.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Thermal pads are ideal really, they allow for a much better fit for core contact