P870KM1 and possibly dead NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Joliver2166, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Joliver2166

Joliver2166 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been having issues with my laptop for the past week or so, possibly after I updated my drivers. The first instance was my computer randomly turning off while I was playing a video game, I also noticed my power brick also turning off with the power supply light off. After this, I was having trouble turning the laptop on and the display lit up but the screen didn't show the log in screen.

To solve this problem, I had to open up my laptop and remove the battery and placed it back in.

Now, the laptop will turn on for a second with some light and then crash. I figured out that if I remove the GPU my computer will finally start up but nothing on the screen will turn up.

What do you guys think? What other GPU would you recommend without breaking the bank?

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like a dead GPU to me. There is no iGPU output on the P870KM1 so no image is expected with no GPU installed.

The best deal on a fast new card is probably the 2060, but that requires some heatsink modification. I don't know if you're capable of that. Performance between the 2060 and 1080 in desktop land are about the same, but in mobile land the 2060 has a much lower TD than the 1080, so the 1080 will be a little bit better of a performer. The 1080, 2070, and 2080 cost a fortune. The 1060 isn't too badly priced if you want something decent that works, but it will be a substantial downgrade from the 1080.

Clevo probably won't have super 2070 and 2080 cards for quite some time.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it's shorting out then the gpu as above is likely dead. Have you had a look over the card? Particularly near the VRMs?

4. Joliver2166

Reputations:
    Nothing that is noticeable, except maybe around the center area where there's thermal paste.
    IMG_1560 (1).jpg

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have a multimeter, check the resistance between the two red pads, and the two green pads (red to red and green to green, not red to green). Resistance should be thousands of ohms. On a dead card they will be hundreds or lower. The pads will be coated in hardened solder flux, so you may need to scrape them with the solder probe tips a bit to get contact.

upload_2020-4-3_16-50-33.jpeg

jc_denton likes this.
  6. Joliver2166

Reputations:
    Thank you. I do not have a multimeter atm but I'll get one tomorrow and check it out

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok. Basically what prevents the laptop from starting is the GPU draws too much current, causing the mobo to power the system off.

The red checks the 19V supply from the power cable, and green from the mxm slot 19V power tab. I have seen 1080s blow out capacitors on the mxm slot power tab before. The 6 core power phases are strong and highly unlikely to have a failure.

There may also be overcurrent on the 5V or 3.3V rails. 5V would be the thing to check next and I can make another picture for that.

jc_denton likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That paste has certainly been well baked. Have you tried carefully cleaning it too?

9. mhp32

mhp32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all and Khenglish
    I have the same problem as Joliver2166 expect that I can see bios and I have garbled screen in window.
    but the problem described by Joliver2166 is exactly what I experienced.

Here is the resistance I have (picture)
    What could be the next step now??
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @mhp32

Your card has damaged solder connections between the core and memory. This can only be fixed by resoldering the processor.

mhp32 and jc_denton like this.