P870KM mic-in (center out) not working

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Rynaus, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rynaus

Rynaus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I bought a new V-Moda Boompro mic (http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/) to go with my headphones. I hate those gaming headsets, none of them have decent sound quality.

The Boompro comes with a Y-Adapter to split the headphone and mic. The audio works fine. However the mic isn't working. If I use the same without the Y-Adapter and connect the single cable to my mobile phone, the mic works fine. So I know that the mic is working.

Anyone who has a P870KM or any P870xx with the separate mic-in jack who is using a mic with it or can try it out for me ? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    have you checked on sound devices when you plug it in that it uses the correct device for the microphone?

3. Rynaus

Reputations:
    Yes I have checked everything. When I unplug the Boompro, the built-in mic in the laptop works fine.

I read about the 2 standards for 3.5mm connectors - CTIA and OMTP where the Mic and ground pins are reversed. Now the Boompro uses CTIA as it is the common standard. I'm wondering if the P870KM mic-in uses the other standard. I don't have a converter now to try it, unfortunately.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you plug the headphone portion into the MIC and tap the speaker, does it register as an input? (Headphones work as lower quality microphones).

5. Rynaus

Reputations:
    Yes I'm aware of this and yes it does register. I can hear the tap even with the mic, but very feeble even with full 20% mic boost.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    So the MIC responds around the same or worse than the headphones?

7. Rynaus

Reputations:
    Yes, the mic and headphone has almost the same response. I know the mic is responding when I set the mic boost all the way up because the Boompro comes with a mic mute button and if I mute the mic with this, then there is no response at all.

One more thing - Realtek drivers always combine the audio jacks and there is no option anywhere to separate the input jacks like you have on a desktop PC. So my internal laptop mic (Digital Jack) and external mic (Analog Jack) both are combined, I donno if this has something to do with it or how to split them. Even the Audio out gets combined so that only one plays, either the internal speaker or the headphone that is plugged in. I guess this is how it works.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The mic jack can be an output if you are in 5.1 mode in the audio panel but then it would not be used as a MIC input in the software so it does not sound like a jack issue but an amp issue on the input.

Rynaus likes this.
  9. Rynaus

Reputations:
    When I plug-in the mic, the Realtek Mixer pops-up asking if I plugged-in a mic or a Center speaker and I select Mic. So yea the jack is working and so is the Mic. The speaker setup is set to "Stereo". I tested the mic with my mobile phone without the splitter cable and it's super loud even if I just whisper.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It is odd as usually these days I think the MIC amp is integrated into the chip but I may be wrong but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Rynaus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.