p870dm vortex 1070 upgrade error code

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by tanzmeister, Aug 5, 2017.

1. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ve got my hands on a portion of Vortex 1070 mxm cards to upgrade p870dm-g

unfortunately after flashing them with 86.04.42.00.03 non-Gsync vbios - they all give error code 43, while they do work with original Vortex vbios perfectly but only on external screen.

any suggestions? maybe different non-G vbioses anyone can share?

@Prema ? @woodzstack ?

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    This is like the 10th error 43 I've had someone report to me in the last 2 weeks.
    before that, I've not seen an error 43 reported to me in like...months/years ?

Almost seems like a thing. I wonder if it's a vbios thing, but the fact it's all around the same time has got to be more than just a coincidence, unless it's simply an error code windows started using only recently for certain issues.

Others reporting black screens too, and I've asked them to try external monitors. Not heard back from all of them though, and they never reported flashing a new bios - but maybe they just didn't want to admit it or something, hard to say without proof.

Also, every summer NVidia does crap to eliminate older cards, it's always an "accident' or bad drivers or something, and shared through partners , but its like always the same time every year for the last decade, at first I used to think it must just be summer and the extra heat is killing cards via temps, but I've learnt otherwise.

I'm not one for conspiracies, but i do think NVidia and INTEL want you to keep buying new products every year or so, and continue that trend so they plan things to expire unreasonably, or help it along it's way, with releasing bad code that makes use of exposed vulnerabilities. Always just a bug though that gets patched once the damage is done.

As for this specific error code I have no idea to be honest, can you try the card in a g-sync setting with the proper g-sync vbios and compatible panel ? Is it just a vbios thing (I assume it is) or you think the card is faulty too ? Maybe these cards are not identical electrically to the others.

3. tanzmeister

Reputations:
    it's definitely a vbios/driver thing. with older drivers they work with the non-G laptop vbios.

with newest driver they work with stock Vortex vbios

with new driver

bloodhawk likes this.
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dealt with this in my 1070 SLI thread.

What worked for me:

Downloaded "latest" G65VR-6RE drivers (375.70)
    INF modded nvmd.inf with:

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...14310]
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.0371.1558% = Section058, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BA1&SUBSYS_03711558

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.0371.1558% = Section057, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BA1&SUBSYS_03711558

and a device text string at the bottom that was different to see I was installing using the added strings above
    NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.0371.1558 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SLI"

(you would use the P870DM subsys instead of 03711558)

It worked - internal (eDP) and external screens, HDMI and DP out (I didn't have DP out with stock vortex vBIOS)

Current vBIOS working: 86.04.42.00.03

Haven't tried anything newer or drilled deeper into the INF to which driver component or setting was stopping it working (or which of the above two edits were what made the difference) - by then I was sick of disassembling and flashing vBIOS with programmer and dozens of DDUs and driver install restarts and I just wanted to use the thing.

edit some more notes:
    - I don't have brightness control with any of the registry hacks I could find (but can still reduce brightness/contrast to something acceptable through nv control panel colour settings)
    - Intermittent blackscreen auto-reboot crashes in only GTA5; which were greatly reduced in frequency some time ago by reseating the master card and squashed SLI cable, and since, has not occurred a single time with a locked GPU clock/volt profile...
    - In the driver INF mod I started with just copying the string for 1BA1.11C2.1462 (matching what my stock vbios reported its subsystem as) which didn't install so I just tried the next one down 11C3 which is what worked

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    hmscott and woodzstack like this.
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    interesting that you needed to add the SLI string...

hmscott and bennyg like this.
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't *need* to do that, I did it only to make life easier to instantly see that my added device id was being detected

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Exactly. You could have called it whatever you wanted to for testing...

e.g. NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.0371.1558 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Radeon Killer"

bennyg, Falkentyne and hmscott like this.
  8. tanzmeister

Reputations:

I am not sure I completely understand what exactly different have you made with the inf?

does it work with the most recent driver?

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically just a standard INF mod for installing aftermarket cards

Compare the two files in the zip to see the insertions
    line ~443
    line~547
    line ~7773

The SectionXXX bit was what I had to trial and error to get a driver successfully installed. When I copied it from the 11C2 line and changed the device ID, code 43 on install. Copied from 11C3 line, installed.

Since the SectionXXX is only a pointer, there is something buried down in the section (further into the INF file) that is the real issue - settings, registry entries, etc. Search for [Section056] and [Section058] and compare what's there side by side.

I haven't tried with most recent driver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. tanzmeister

Reputations:

so a specific section was required for the card to work, right?

so that section was intended for Vortex?