P870DM-G: trying to go from 980m to 1070mxm

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Sargatanus, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They're not really counterfeit, but just lower quality than all of the other cards as they are basically a Frankenstein of a 1070 die and P5000 PCB as Reciever said. The power delivery is quite lackluster as the entire card with the 1070 die uses up to 120ish watts whereas the entire card with the P5000 die uses up to 100ish watts.

Just test it more and be sure to mod the drivers right, and if it doesn't work, give the seller hell and get your money back.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how I gave that impression, not all cards work in a given machine. Clevo's have less restrictions in place but if it can't read the temp sensor it will shut off. Doesn't mean the card is faulty or counterfeit, it just means you are either the first to test that specific model product or you didn't do the research beforehand.

No harm no foul

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can have a top grade card not work and it's just not necessarily related

Tenoroon and Reciever like this.
  4. Sargatanus

Sargatanus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still a bit new to the whole GPU game. I didn't think there would be brand-specific versions of the GPU model I was looking for, let alone knock-offs.

I guess I'll see if I can get it returned, then... In the meantime, anyone know if I can put anything better than a [real] 1070mxm in this without cutting/soldering anything? Furthermore, anyone know a reliable place where I can get a 1070mxm or better?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you do not want any mods done, then I recommend a MSI 1070 MXM.
    If you want/know/are able/ have knowledge/have resources etc. to do mods you can go even to a Clevo 3080 MXM ;)

The only place that I have seen that still have the MSI 1070 is aliexpress.

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Knock off's dont exist, its either the MXM card supports what the system needs to function or it doesnt.

Only one I am personally aware of is the MSi 1070, not sure what mods are needed for functionality since I personally went a different route.

7. Sargatanus

Reputations:
    I called Eurocom and they're going to see if they can get me the part/kit/BIOS mod (if needed). Assuming I can a refund from the guy on eBay, I'm not out too much more money. This (upgrading every part I can in my current laptop to get another 2-4 years out of it) is still cheaper than getting the X170KM-G with maxed out CPU/GPU and mid-range everything else.

8. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Careful wirh Eurocom and they'r gar.... arr Gecube Gpu's

9. Sargatanus

Reputations:
    Well between that less-than-stellar review and the fact that the only things I'm seeing on AliExpress look about as reliable as the thing I got off of eBay, what other options do I have left?

10. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.