P870DM-G: fans spin up, beep noise and it shuts off

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Uftherr, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Uftherr

Uftherr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Meaker@Sager
    You saying that officially confirms my laptop is dead. :D

@electrosoft
    Ah, the good old "I told you so". I feel so much better now :rolleyes:
    I'm also guilty of trying to contact Prema but he ignored me like a champ. I'm guessing he's sick of dealing with idiots who brick their systems all the time :p

I'll try flashing the EC again. I made a backup of the EC firmware (at least I think that's what the chip was) using my SPI flasher (thinking it was the BIOS chip at first). I'll just play around with that, can't make it deader than dead anyway.
    If that doesn't work, I'll look for a replacement mainboard. Spare parts are pretty rare here in Germany, and probably extremely expensive.
    Maybe I'll find a board that natively supports the 8700k and a RTX 2070/2080. But first I need to save up some money, I'm only a poor student :p

electrosoft likes this.
  2. Uftherr

Uftherr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, I've spent some time thinking about it and decided I should sell the machine. I'm not going to be able to fix it, and I'm just wasting my time.
    Should I sell the parts separately or the laptop as a whole, and is there a "market" section here in the forums?

3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Unless you can verify the GPU is fine, I’d sell it as is with problems. The odds of the GPU being compromised are low, but unless you can verify what works and what doesn’t, you just don’t know.

Or order a new system board, verify everything is working and sell it complete with the old CPU and config.

4. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity have you tried another GPU or tried to reflash the GPU vbios? It’s really sounding like this problem is GPU related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. electrosoft

Reputations:
    Agreed, at this point you would need access to a 980m, 970m or another 980 (or most likely another P870DM) to see what is working and what isn't. You never know what has gone bonkers.

While Dsanke does lack the ability to detect the 980 properly and the second fan requires manual control, you're still left with a system, bought used, in an unknown state and you really don't know what is wrong.

6. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At this point it will be hell lot hard to sell it. And even if you manage - probably for veeeery low price.

If you have programmer - you should try to reflash vBIOS and BIOS to stock. If it wont work than meh - you're screwd. In my opinion worthy trying since it's broken anyway. Nothing to loose i guess.

7. electrosoft

Reputations:
    He has a programmer (I think @Uftherr needed it after the initial flash went wrong), but the problem is a bad flash with Dsanke and then the system will not revert back to stock when flashing the stock BIOS. It could be the BIOS flashing and or it could be something that happened during this whole process. But multiple flashes with Dsanke and multiple flashes with stock still haven't fixed the problem(s). If he could get his hands on another P870DM or even another 970m/980m card, he would be able to rule out many possible problems.

There are some others who have had problems too and their systems never quite worked right again. I'm not sure where @ssj92 and his P870DM stand atm. I know @Prema stepped in to try and help clean up the mess Dsanke BIOS left, but I don't remember if he ever got it back to 100%?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A full image backup is always best before starting modding ;)

9. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    Before flashing anything I make ec, bios, and vbios backups with spi programmer before doing these modifications. But still at this point he needs to test additional hardware!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk