P775TM1 GTX 1080 Heat Issues

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by EepoSaurus, Feb 6, 2018.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. So i purchased a p775tm1 to replace my aging 17r1. It has a gtx 1080 and an 8700k with seperate heatsinks. After a delid and some TIM replacement on the cpu i am surprised by how well my cpu stays cool under load. It will stay at 4700mhz under load with a -125mv undervolt. Temps stay at about 82c at 90%. Normal ingame temps are in the 50s. The gpu is another story all together. The stock pads appear to be much too large and keep the heat sink from making proper contact. After some mods like replacing the thermal pads and pasting with kryonaut it can run cool unless you turn vsync off which then rans the gpu at full tilt and the gpu gets as high as 90c even after tim replacement, paper clip mod and new pads. It may be just me but perhaps this heatsink can not properly dissapate the heat put out by a 200w 1080. I purchased another heatsink from RJtech in hopes that maybe it will be a better performer. I dont think ill be lucky and i actually intend to remove the 3 heatpipes from the 2nd heat sink and solder them to my current heatsink. Ill update this thread as i work on it and hopeflully i can provide an avenue to relieve this heat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, i HAD a p775tm with a gtx 1060, but i helped a user on tomshardware with a gtx 1080 to do something called copper shim mod! It really kept his 1080 with kryonaut under 80-85°c under full aida stress! Note for this u will need more rhermal pads(fujipoly recomendded).

And why did you purchased a new heatsink fron rjtech? You couldve got it from your reseller under warranty right!?

Rimplestilhskin likes this.
  3. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Well RJtech is my retailer and i could get it under warranty but i want two to potentially mod a better heatsink if it turns out there is not much difference between them.

4. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    So it turns out I did do the mod but after a lot of trial and error It was unsuccessful. It does move heat better but the issue is heatsoak I think. the card generates more heat than the radiator can hope to eliminate. which is the reason the extra 3 pipes does not really help. it moves heat faster but it can not hope to get rid of it fast enough. Faster better fans are needed with more surface area on the radiator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The process I used is: I removed the heat pipes from my old heatsink with a plumper's torch and sanded both the top of the new heat sink to remove the paint and the bottom of the other 3 pipes to remove the solder. I then used solder paste and clamped the pipes together and put them in a toaster oven till it reached 250f. I cooled the pipes down and tested the heatsink by seeing if it moved heat and it did but unfortunately, it can not be removed from the system and will shoot back up to 90c in pubg and 85c in overwatch. It could be that the heat could have lowered the efficiency of the pipes as I had to use the blow torch but I was careful to submerge the other end in water so that the heat had somewhere to go and the solder got more heat. Also the new heatsink was never exposed to direct flame and at the very least the bottom three pipes should be fully functional. My unscientific and thrown together conclusion is that it will not work because the heat output of the card exceeds the heat dissipation of the fan and radiator. And I ruined two heatsinks and the bottom panel obviously won't clear the 3 extra pipes so I've got buy another heat sink. Sorry for the bad news guys. Maybe someone with more technicial knowledge could do a better job.

5. Jumpwired

Jumpwired Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Double post, stupid ortholinear keyboard :(

6. Jumpwired

Reputations:
    Holy ****... looks like you put in allot of work. Good job.
    Just out of curiosity can you still close the bottom now?

Unfortunately, I think its the positioning of your new heat pipes.
    They should be attached to the heatsink itself and then carry the heat to the radiator fins.
    Heat pipe on heat pipe offers little to no improvement.

Like you said, I think the issue lies with really bad factory balancing.
    It took me almost 10 tries to get my HS to balance and hold LM without pumping.
    Should have invested in pressure paper. Also needed to use double paperclips for added pressure. It took allot of work to get it right.

I don't get any throttling on my GPU, temps stay below 84C even at full load for an hour.

7. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Theoretically it does lose effiency with them stacked on one another but the core is fully covered. Radiant heat might do a bit to cool it down but there was no room without modifying the chasis and i lacked the courage.

Jumpwired likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Stacking pipes like that wont really help much, you would really want them to go to the bottom of the heatsink to create a sandwich of sorts that would help move heat into a cooler part of the heatsink.

oSChakal and Jumpwired like this.
  9. Jumpwired

Reputations:
    Still this one goes down in the books.. not many people have the balls to solder heatpipes onto a new laptop.
    Took one for science... props :cool:

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Certainly :) Always worth having a think about the thermal dynamics before messing with a heatsink however.