P775TM1 Build Help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by _H_, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Space to fit a heatsink is not necessarily enough space for a heatsink.

2. andytom69

andytom69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a similar configuration with 9900k delid, in recent times I am experiencing an increase in cpu temperatures, and while I was in video decoding the pc also turned off. normally I know that I have 4.8ghz cores with extreme profile, the temps go up to 90 ° -100 °. I'm worried because I have the delid, undervolt at -120mv and a little modding on the heatskin. Could it be some damned win 10 update?
    Actually I had to limit the cores to avoid strange things, I lowered to 4.4 ghz with a -150 undervolt

3. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If we were talking about some sort of active cooling I would agree. But it's just a heatsink for an NVME and there's good enough ventilation that I don't see any issue with temps yet without a heatsink. Time will tell though, I have yet to push the system and won't be able to until next week as life get's in the way again :vbfrown:

4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Potentially could be the liquid metal application, check it and reapply if it has diffused into the heatsink.

It's not so much the edges, as the center parts where the heatpipes are soldered onto the thin heatspreader plate. Some warping occurs there, and since stock intel Ihs is ~29x29mm, you want it to have good contact with the concave intel ihs. Or as flat as possible when using a 3rd party IHS.

Nvme heatsinks, I use a thermalpad between my 970pro and the motherboard, haven't had any issues.

_H_ and Papusan like this.
  5. andytom69

andytom69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thank you jc denton ,
    I check the dissipation under the heatsink cpu .. the work with the dissipation on the cpu does not have much time, about 3 months ago, could already have problems? as I have already posted I have adopted the maximum possibilities of heat dissipation
    this is my work

6. jc_denton

Reputations:
    In the initial LM application your copper heatsink will act like a sponge, soaking up the gallium and creating an alloy layer, as the machine thermal cycles. How much time before thermal degradation depends on the quantity of LM you initially applied. Check the application, if it's no longer wet, then remove the residual indium and tin and apply a fresh coat.

Papusan likes this.
  7. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I finally got around to relidding my i9-9900k. I took some pictures if anyone wants to take a look here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/9BlEybh

It was a fairly simple process, but I can see how it would be easy for someone to mess up. I have to say the Rockit 89 kit didn't let me down as far as removal and replacement of the IHS. However i was disappointed with the copper upgrade IHS. The milling marks on the underside really could have been cleaned up. There were a couple of machining burs that I had to sand off on one side of the IHS just because it was bothering me. Final complaint on the IHS: the sides were not the same height, there was roughly a 0.002" difference in thickness from one side to the other. This took a couple of minutes but i got it down to less than 0.001"

Ran Intel XTU to stress the CPU and the temps never got above 72. Started tuning and tweaking settings here and there. Somehow ended up with the benchmark score that's in the last photo in that link. I do see the temps fluctuate a decent amount during stress testing it'll dip down to 65 then back up to 72. and as soon as the stress test is over the temps plummet back to sub 40. Before there would be a few second before the temp would drop that far. Is this normal?

Overall i'm pretty happy with the progress of the CPU, but i'm always open to suggestions!

Next up i'll TDP mod the RTX 2070 and see what level that benchmarks at.

Papusan, electrosoft and jc_denton like this.
  8. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Great job on the delid and lapping, it looks stellar. How are your temps in Cinebench R15 at 5Ghz with Fn+1 fans? Btw, since its the first LM application, as mentioned above, temps might go as copper soaks up the gallium in the initial stages.

Papusan and _H_ like this.
  9. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank You! I tried to be as meticulous as I could and tried to take a photo or two when I remembered. I'll run Cinebench R15 tonight before I mess with the GPU, I have noticed the fans are not as loud or powerful as the ones on my GT73VR (fans and heatsinks are from a GT75VR). I'm going to do some digging to see if there are any that fit and are upgrades.

Also I've been reading up on PremaMod and it was mentioned that they have coded out some stock throttling/limitations in their bios, just wondering how accurate this information is. Basically just me hoping to squeeze a bit more performance out of this CPU.

As far as the copper soaking up the gallium alloy, I put a decent amount in the IHS and set it in the oven for 10 min. When I took it out I spread the excess around until the IHS cooled down to like 30-40c. I then removed the excess from the IHS, put a very thin fresh layer on the CPU die and proceeded to relid, forgot to take pictures of this part. Hopefully that helped saturate the copper with the gallium alloy.

I will definitely keep an eye on my temps and reapply LM as needed. Thanks again for the tip!

Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  10. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I was looking into something similar a while back, give this a read.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-16l13-eurocom-tornado-f5-fan-modifications.810712/
    This is the fan, SN: ab08812hx26db00

Thicc fan.

Papusan and _H_ like this.