P775TM1 Build Help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by _H_, Feb 13, 2020.

1. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely not shooting for 65c under that kind of load, its awesome that you got it down that far. I'm planning on lapping my die only to get a flat surface area. I have a Rockit copper IHS, however I heard that it gave minimal thermal gain over the stock IHS. I might look into a custom one if i decide to give lapping a full try. I am definitely going to try and get everything nice and flat for optimal contact from the die to the heatsink and everything in between. I've already got my micrometer calibrated :vbthumbsup: I'm looking into better thermal pads as well!

jc_denton likes this.
  2. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm also looking forward to see what kind of progress you make with the 9900kf if you try to push the limits again!

jc_denton likes this.
  3. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Thanks, no extreme plans for the KF at the moment. The chip has "only" gone through a delidding and a light die lapping, to level out the surface silicon. It will basically be the same mod using the BartX IHS, LM, 2nd CPU fan etc. But with some small improvements and tweaks here and there. Although, not lapped as thin this time around.

Regarding minimal gains from a custom copper IHS over the stock Intel one:
    There is some lottery when it comes to heatsinks and the ILM (retention bracket) on Clevo machines. Where some heatsinks actually rest on top of the ILM instead of the IHS. The poor fit results in sub optimal temperatures and is multiplied by several fold when it's combined with liquid metal. I found it to be especially bad with the 9th gen chips, since they have a thinner IHS.
    I would suggest that you check whether the ILM is taller than the IHS, by either a razor or something that you know has a flat edge. Setting it on the ILM and testing all four corners along the IHS.
    As well as checking whether the CPU heatsink is completely flat, by having the IHS on top of it and shining a flashlight from the opposite side, checking for any light bleed.

PS.
    You might want to keep an eye out for @ole!!! as he is working on implementing a vapor chamber to the CPU heatsink and some other very cool mods.

Dr. AMK, _H_ and Papusan like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Having the IHS be a bit taller is the main difference performance wise. Especially with no glue that makes the chip/ihs combo thinner.

_H_ likes this.
  5. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You've given me a lot to think about. I have something I want to try this weekend. I'll have to bust out my micrometer and calibrate it at work. I will post an update about my progress Monday. In the mean time I'll continue looking for a which bios i'm going to use and which wireless card seems like the best fit. Thanks again for all the advice and info!

jc_denton likes this.
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Back to some of your original questions,

1. Bios
    Prema bios hands down, however only possible by buying from a partnered reseller. However, with the 9900K thermals will be a bigger issue than having the stock "unlocked" bios. 4.7/4.8Ghz allcore 9900K should be attainable paired with a proper undervolt.

4/5.
    I have a Killer card, but have never used it with their software. It works fine without the bloated software package.

Fn+1 toggles max fans. No need for the bloated Clevo Control Center package

I have used my P870TM1 at 5.2Ghz 9900K and an overclocked + powermodded 1080 on a single 330W brick without issues. The 330W power supply can peak to around 424W from what I recall brother @Papusan mentioning.

Get Windows 10 LTSC with a 4$ ebay key, strip it further with WUB and ESO.

tps3443, _H_ and Papusan like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    May as well pick up an ax200 wifi card as they are not expensive.

Dr. AMK, _H_ and TheReciever like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:

[​IMG]

9. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So life has gotten in the way over the past week, setting me behind a little. I have everything in place at the moment and the laptop boots. I am currently looking into BIOS options and prema is the front runner so far. I also ran some benchmarks *stock* and temps stayed below 60c for firestrike with fans at max. I went with an Intel ax200 over the Killer as i saw some people had issues with the killer software being automatically installed by windows as soon as it recognized the card, plus the Intel was close to half the price and it's basically the same card but bloatware free. Also looking into an LTSC license.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    tps3443 likes this.
  10. _H_

_H_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A couple of things i noticed while putting it together were:

There's enough space to get a heatsink on my NMVE, which would have been nice to know before i bought the one without a built in heatsink.

My CPU ILM is scary tight, I thought I was doing something wrong at first.

The heatsink for the TM1 could be better, but it measures decently flat with my micrometer on the edges, i'll have to work on a way to test the centers. I still plan on polishing up the surfaces.

My 9900K seems to run cooler than what i've seen others report, which leads me to believe it'll be easy to OC and temp manage...once i get around to delidding and lapping

win32asmguy and tps3443 like this.