P775DM3 problem, black screen after installing gpu drivers.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Mikki79, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Mikki79

Mikki79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a pretty serious issue with my laptop. I already bought a new one half a year ago and this one has just been sitting on a desk. However a 6700k with a 1070 is still reasonably powerful so it's a shame not being able to use it.

The problem is the screen doesn't work, nor do any external screens. Ok so the laptop must be broken right?
    Well, if I connect it to an external display and reinstall windows it does work until I install the nvidia GPU drivers. As soon as I install the nvidia drivers the screen goes black permanently The GPU doesn't seem to be broken, I tried playing some Civilization 6 before installing the nVidia drivers and it worked fine, even if I had no drivers installed (well nothing recent, maybe windows installed something on it's own).

If you go into device manager and check the display adapter it does recognize it as a GTX 1070. It says the driver date is something from 2017. As soon as I install any more recent drivers the screen goes black and the display can't get a signal from any of the ports.

I actually removed the built in display cause I thought it was broken (and it's easier to use the laptop in front of a monitor if there is no laptop screen in the way), but it was probably this same issue that stopped it from working. I suppose I'll just have to reinstall windows yet again and not install any GPU drivers.

2. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remove the currently installed drivers with the latest version of DDU and try installing the latest drivers from Nvidia

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Civ 6 might have been software rendering. I'd guess dead GPU.

joluke likes this.
  4. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems like it

5. DuongTHVN

DuongTHVN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you can try this case: remove cmos battery 5 minutes then plug it again.

6. Mikki79

Mikki79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't really done much with the PC since I posted this question. However I just tried starting up Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it seemed to run pretty smoothly as well (old game of course). I guess it might be using the integrated GPU that the CPU has. I didn't even know the 6700k had an integrated GPU but seems it does.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It does, but software rendering does not use the IGP, it uses the CPU. I think your GPU is simply partially dead and an area of the core is just a bit broken so it can't use the full feature set.

8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The P7xx and P8xx don't have power lanes to the integrated gpu so you don't have it running. It's disabled via hardware

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    CPU rendering would render the image on the CPU processor itself and then just use the GPU as a dumb display output.

10. Mikki79

Mikki79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well if the integrated GPU is disabled it must be the GPU that still works in some capacity. Which is probably better. Even a crippled 1070 is probably faster than the intel integrated GPU. I don't think its CPU rendering cause I didn't notice any slowdown, it felt perfectly smooth. I don't think the the CPU would manage to render it that fast. Probably would get single digit framerate. Both Civ 6 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 ran smoothly, probably close to 60fps at least.