P770DM + eGPU?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by seldN, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You do need to look at gaming FPS.

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    It doesn't. Only TB to PCI/e conversion (except possibly professional workloads)

It won't work. Please don't tell people it will. Only thing that might fit there is a MSI 1070N and that still will not fit properly.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    TB is PCI-E, it's kind of built into the standard.

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    The conversion from the Thunderbolt standard to PCI/e adds latency that hinders GPUs 1060 and above. Use a DIY M.2 NGFF solution or use a proprietary solution like the AW AGA or the MSI GS30 you once had, and that problem goes away. The PCI/e 3.0 x4 connection in itself is not the issue. @tgipier has run benchmarks and played games on a Titan X P for me at PCI/e 1.1 x16 (so about 3.0 x4) and noticed margin-of-error results compared to PCI/e 3.0 x16, as well as @bloodhawk has tested with his own DIY solution.

bloodhawk likes this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now that's interesting, I didn't know they made ones that can be powered though the M.2 port. How is the stability in games on M.2?

I was actually talking about a Clevo GTX 1080 which apprently isn't released yet. Eurocom wrote in one of our threads (keeping mxm alive or so) that they would release a GTX 1070, RX 580 and the GTX 1080, which all should have the standard MXM factor and which won't need any kind of extra power source. It seems that only the RX 580 and the GTX 1070 have been released thus far.

6. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Everything works just fine in and out of games on both the solutions. But as stated earlier, to have it properly work, Prema's BIOS is somewhat of a necessity.

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I mean you tried TB3 and it did bottleneck according to the linked post. What do you mean with Prema Bios is somewhat needed? Could you explain?

8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Yes, i played a lot of DOTA2 . CSGO, Doom , Overwatch etc. There is obviously a overhead compared to dedicated PCIe slots, and that is due to the TB3 to PCIe signal conversion. Also as i stated in that thread, using a 1080 is not worth it, however a 1080Ti definitely works much better. Albeit there will be slightly increased latency.
    Prema BIOS will let you control PCIe hot plugging on the BIOS level, which is pretty much a must with the way Nvidia drivers are right now,with older drivers it wasnt needed, but with the newer drivers, without using an extensive driver installation / un-installation process people will run into a Code 43 error. With the hot plugging options, non of that is needed.
    All of this has been discussed in that thread IIRC.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Danishblunt likes this.
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! Appreciated.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    GS30 was a x16 link straight to the CPU. I agree the 4x link bandwidth itself is not so much of an issue (though through the chipset that does get shared with everything else).