P75XDM2/P75XXTM cooling!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by anassa, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not bad for the baby model Victor.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Max fans sounds like a jet engine, yes. But temps are still reasonable with auto fans and the laptop is much quieter. 115W is very low, basically Max-Q wattage for the 1080, so there will be some performance drop usually. But with undervolt, can just about maintain full clocks at 115W in less GPU power hungry games like Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

BOCW.jpg

FTW_260 and Papusan like this.
  3. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you limit your 1080?

4. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    I didn’t, my 1080 still has its normal 190W power limit. I just found a game that I know it can maintain full clocks at ~115W with an undervolt.

5. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh cool. Mine does too. Hopefully I'll be ordering a spi programmer soon to unlock my 1080. We'll see :)

6. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    I thought about doing that, but realized even with my thermal mods that the cooling can’t handle much more than 190W, so it would only be for epeen short 3DMark benches that don’t reach heatsoak, plus the fan noise is annoying. TDP modding works great for the P870 though with its vapor chamber.

joluke likes this.
  7. ViktorV

ViktorV Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is what I wanted to show, with a liquid cooling system you get a cold GPU and CPU, an almost silent cooling system and the potential with a headroom for overclocking. Something like this)))

joluke likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You also get weight, leak risks and mobility concerns so it depends on your usage really.

jc_denton likes this.
  9. ViktorV

ViktorV Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Leaks are very unlikely, the design of the radiators excludes this possibility. For mobility, the system is equipped with quick-detachable connectors with a valve inside, and the radiator itself has retained its air cooling system and can be used without connecting a liquid cooling system.

Papusan and joluke like this.
  10. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Stock P775TMx is limited by the heatsink size and air intake shrouds. This aliexpress block does offer more mass and better surface area for the GPU side from the looks of it, which is a definite plus. Since VRM cooling on the stock heatsink lacks any meaningful surface area.

But had this hybrid actually used microfins for the high heat density areas (die) instead of simple cnc carved tunnels through the copper, it would perform much better both in thermals and noise. Currently it looks to be limited by that and tube sizing for flow rate.

I'm curious as to when disconnecting the fittings, does it require the block to be emptied of water? Because that would mean the channels will be filled with air, which has a terrible thermal transfer coefficient. And how do the fittings react to when internal pressure gets high when it's run without the water pump with water left inside?