P75XDM2/P75XXTM cooling!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by anassa, Jul 19, 2020.

1. anassa

anassa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I redid my pads and repasted, it did look like the contact after my last re-paste wasn't good, I also took the time to pull it out and without any pads or thermal past screw the heatsink to the GPU and see if there were any gaps, it seems that the heatsink contact to the GPU die is good. I have Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 1mm ones that I was using but also noticed the VRAM chips don't get full contact with the 1mm pads, they need to be thicker.

After that I ran Cyberpunk 2077 @ ~1800Mhz again and it took longer than before to warm up, but with autofans still hit 87C after roughly 7min. CPU @ 4.3Ghz wasn't an issue, but when it is at 4.6Ghz all core with the undervolt it will hit low 80s.

I also noticed that if I did frame cap at 60 the game wasn't as smooth as if I just put the frame cap at 80 or so - and the panel is only 60hz.

I'm going to have to try the combination of K5 Pro & 17 fin fans - no LM for the GPU for me as I move the laptop around too much, for the delided CPU it is under the IHS so that is fine. But swapping out for one of those copper IHS I see might be worth a try? My fans don't have the the annoying high pitch you mentioned previously, but I am definitely looking for the performance.

I can't believe you can manage 78C with 190W ~ 1950Mhz to 2000Mhz for the 20min Time Spy stress test, with the RTX heatsink, that is super impressive!

Especially considering with my larger heatsink I can only manage around ~130W @ ~1800Mhz for 7min on auto before it hits 87!

It would be nice to be able to run 190W with full fans and keep it under 80C - that would be a real achievement!

BTW I totally forgot that Afterburner can pull the Watt also . . . but I was just playing with it and can only find CPU Power - for Watt, not the GPU, what option did you use to get that?

My GPU also currently can't handle a +170 core offset, I have been playing with the curve itself.

2. anassa

Reputations:
    Ya that true, but still, with the similar chassis, cooling solution, fans, thermal pads, die contact, power limits, thermal compound etc it should be similar, especially as these are both clevo 1080 cards - if we are talking about desktop cards with the different manufactures, cooling setups, vbios etc you would expect more variance.

Also at this point the main difference isn't the comparison between frequency, but power/voltage use and the resulting temps, regardless of frequency. So if I was able to pull ~190W and run full fans with the 20min Time Spy test and also get around 78C max but can only get 1900Mhz that is fine. :D

3. anassa

Reputations:
    My goal would be - to be able to pull 190W and keep it under 80C with full fans.

Then I would be happy with the cooling setup and also be fine with future upgrades and can tinker for frequency at different voltages within that.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It can still be surprisingly different.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not worth it. Most aftermarket IHSes are the same height as the stock IHS, which would be pointless. The CPU heatsink has a .5-1mm gap with normal height IHSes, even with thermal pads removed, and the toothpick mod doesn't help much. If you source a taller IHS like I did (BartX Clevo IHS is 4.3mm, which is 1mm taller than stock), it makes perfect contact with the heatsink.

If anything, the 17-blade fans are slightly higher pitched, they just sound less like a leaf blower under load.

Biggest thing with the GPU is getting rid of thermal pads. Before using K5 Pro, I tried several attempts to get the thermal pad thicknesses right, but could never find a combination that allowed the core to get good contact.

Afterburner doesn't have it. I'm using the HWiNFO plugin for that.

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG

Papusan and joluke like this.
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Did you test the new 17 bladed fans vs the 13 bladed fans at max rpm to see if they provide better cooling? If so, by how much?

jc_denton likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn’t test them directly. I had to remove the heatsink to switch out one of the fans, so I also took the opportunity to swap my Rockit IHS for the BartX, changed GPU thermal pads to K5 Pro, and reapplied liquid metal on all surfaces.

electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The silver shining IHS was the first one to get a properly tall one, it does help.

Papusan and joluke like this.
  9. anassa

Reputations:
    I just checked BartX with the 4.3mm IHS, but it seems they are out of stock so I asked them when it was coming back in.

Well I ordered the 17 blade fans! Found it on Ebay, so went with that, shipping will still take till mid Feb, so it will be a bit of wait till I get to see the difference. I also got some K5 Pro on the way to see what kind of difference that makes.

Let's see what will happen to my temps! I hope it works well!

yrekabakery likes this.
  10. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations: