P75XDM2/P75XXTM cooling!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by anassa, Jul 19, 2020.

1. anassa

anassa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I just got myself a P750DM2 and was wondering what kind of cooling mods people have been doing. Here is a little of what I have been doing.

First was delidding the 7700k adding some liquid metal and doing the paperclip/toothpick mod: (for me there was no real difference with the paperclip/toothpick mod, but the delid + LM did make a difference)

[​IMG]

First a comparison between the stock P750DM2 heatsink and the P750TM heat sink that supports the RTX graphics cards. I was curious as to the differences since it should just be easily replaceable. I was able to pick it up for ~$110 shipped so it wasn't expensive at all.

Stock P750DM2 P/N: 6-31-P750D3-302
    P75XTM RTX GPU P/N: 6-31-P75F3-204

The one on the left is the RTX heatsink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What kind of differences do you guys see? Any benefits?

Now the fun part. Some people like the unified heat sink, some don't. I understand in theory they can help each other when one is loaded more than the other, but what if you want to run like a 8700k + or 9700k+ with a 1080+ and both create a lot of heat, it might be easier to tune the GPU/CPU for a separate heatsinks. When I got my 1080GTX from MrMogwai he included the CPU and GPU heatsink from a P775TM1!! :D These are the separate heatsinks for CPU GPU.

P775TM1
    CPU P/N: 6-31-P77FN-101
    GPU P/N: 6-31-P77FN-201

Comparison:

[​IMG]

The CPU heatsink had to be bent to fit, the P750DM2 comes stock with this bend. The GPU heatsink is also a little longer.

[​IMG]

In this view you can see the crink/bend on the CPU side to fit, you also see much larger the surface area is of the fins area to dissipate heat! The heatsink pipes are also thicker!

Of course this means I had to cut the plastic bits out of the back panel. I only needed to cut the backing panel, not the chassis itself, so if I wanted to go back to the normal heatsink and have it look clean again it is easy to just buy that back panel we remove to access the CPU/GPU.

P775TM1 Heatsinks installed:

[​IMG]

How it sticks out - I want to clean it up to be nicer at a later date. It works well for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to be careful if I move it to not dent the fins and create blockage in the airflow. It still is mobile though and since it is the rear of the laptop I don't ever see it anyways.

Curious what you all think and if anyone is doing other things to help keep temps in check.

The next thing I want to do is switch out the fans.

Apparently there are 17 bladed fans vs normally 14 blade fans? Helps increase airflow that way too?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thermal pad adjustment and the paperclip mod are popular.

3. MrDK247

MrDK247 Newbie

Reputations:
    @anassa Ive got a P750DM2-G currently running a gtx1080, do you know if you can use the P75XTM 6-31-P75F3-204 heatsink with the 1080?

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  5. MrDK247

MrDK247 Newbie

Reputations:
    Due to bad experiences in the past, I don't shop on Aliexpress or other sites like it. And I have not been able to find one in the EU so far, but the RTX version is available. That's why I was asking if it would work and also I'm considering upgrading to a RTX card at some point.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    For smaller purchases it's less risky.

7. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    I've bought a lot of parts from AliExpress and haven't had any issues, only the slow shipping which takes about two weeks to me in the US. The RTX heatsink should work on Pascal cards, but you need to adjust the thermal pads since the thicknesses and placements are different. Or you can use something like K5 Pro instead. But the RTX heatsink looks inferior since it has less copper and was designed for a lower TDP (Clevo 1080 is 190W, while 2080 is 150W). Also, there are no spring arms, so you can't do the paperclip mod on the GPU with the RTX heatsink.

8. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think so. The holes for the heatsink in the RTX cards are in a different location.

9. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    They’re in the same location. I superimposed the RTX board onto the GTX board and the holes match up exactly.

jc_denton likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    So long as it's standard Vs standard and new clevo Vs clevo core positions are the same.