P751TM1 barebones, Clevo 1080 and 8700k - No POST?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by thewizzard1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't have spare parts floating around, so any help would be appreciated!

I picked up a Clevo 1080 (the wide MXM 3.0 type, of course) on Ebay, and just finally snagged the Z370 chipset barebones Clevo P751TM1 15.6" laptop, and a new i7-8700k with 2x8GB of Corsair DDR4-3000.

The MXM card was previously untested (but purchased as working), the DDR4 has been working in my primary rig (B250M Deskmini), the i7 and X4C were purchased new.

After some quick assembly, the DDR4 going into the primary slots under the keyboard... It doesn't POST. It lights up (front and keyboard, not LCD), but no beeps.

I'm assuming a dead 1080 (BUMMER) but I'm not positive as I don't have much to test things with - I want to assume the processor and laptop are good, but at least I am sure the memory is good.

Can anybody offer any feedback or advice? This is my first barebones laptop, but I've been working on PCs for years. I'm just boggled that some expensive component might be fried :(

2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Try any DDR4-2400, sometime the DDR4-3000 has some issues and needs some tuning.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yes and no. at stock config, the corsair DDR4-3000 boots at its SPD settings with 2666 mhz and thats a speed that all clevo notebooks are capable of.

still, just to be on the safe side, try and pull the CMOS / BIOS battery for like 30 seconds while pressing the power button for the same amount of time.

the GPU being defective is the worst case of course. but there could be another thing: i remember @Prema mentioning that the clevo Pascal GPUs actually have different sub-generations. so basically, 1080s specifically made for TM machines, ones made for DM2/3 machines, etc.

so: can you source the info on what year the GPU was made? (maybe a sticker on the GPU PCB) or ask the seller which machine it was originally pulled from? that could help in determining potential incompatibility as the cause.

im not sure if this incompatibility could potentially be solved via a vbios or sbios update. for that, ill let the wiz speak @Prema ;)

thewizzard1 and Dr. AMK like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    With the GPU on older firmware it would be blind (everything working but nothing on screen).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm going to pop back into this over the weekend. Thank you all for your feedback, I'll report back as soon as I can.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A manual flash with a programmar gets you running nicely after that.

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interesting to know. Guess the whole MXM compatibility thing is getting more and more impossible. Now we can't even buy a 1080 without having to watch for the vBios revision, such a shame really. Guess the time is over where people could simply put a GTX 980M into an old sandy bridge GT780DX from 2011 and have fun playing new games.

Seriously NVIDIA screw you.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  8. Hossbando

Hossbando Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's a huge opportunity for AMD if they can figure out how to make a mobile chip worth a damn.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What do you mean? They do know how to make better GPU's than NVIDIA as of now (way more futureproof and are superior in many applications such as autocad). I would also love to have my hands on MXM vega cards, I am sick and tired of NVIDIAs threatment. Sadly AMD in general don't really go that much into the mobile market.

10. Hossbando

Hossbando Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Their fastest mobile CPU (Ryzen 7 Pro 2700U) is still slower than a lot of currently available mobile i7s, and it's beaten by quite a few chips that are several generations older. They have an admirably low power draw, but that doesn't mean much when you're stuck with on-chip graphics, and I don't see any laptops available with a discrete mobile GPU. Everything I saw with a quick search was "only the on-CPU graphics, deal with it" apple-style.

I've always liked AMD and if they released something with a proper mobile CPU and discrete GPU without all the nvidia style optimus switching and management engine-type vulnerabilities, I think it'd do well in the enthusiast, gaming and workstation communities. While we're talking about pipedreams I'd be happy with a Power9 mobile system as well.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html
    Passmark seems to be alright for comparisons, I don't think the intel chips can cheat on benchmarks as easily as they used to.

Edit: forgot to include the "pro." The Pro 2700U is different from the 2700U (the latter is significantly worse than even most 4th generation mobile i7s)