P750dm2-g/p775dm3-g upgrade with a Coffee Lake cpu?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sicily428, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sicily428 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    sicily428 likes this.
  3. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Don't expect they will talk about new not released tech. They don't want that people start sitting on the fence waiting for new hardware. This will only give them less sales.

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Coffee lake ULV CPUs were planned for Q3-Q4 2017 so that's normal. Desktop variants - Q1 2018. In any case, the clockspeeds seem quite a bit lower. I guess we won't be getting 5GHz on those hex-cores.

EDIT: We're seeing 500MHz lower base frequency (likely same will apply to Turbo Boost) - yeah, that's probably due to heat and the godawful TIM that Intel insist on using.

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Intel to Launch Multiple Six-core CPUs on Coffee Lake Architecture, i5 Lineup
    Intel i7 6 core BGA for high end Mobile on it's way...
    "The report also goes on to say that Intel is looking to introduce 6-core processors to its mobile lineup as well, although with much lower clock speeds (reportedly around the 2 GHz mark) to allow for the lower TDP platform requirements (at 45 W.) There's also mention of a 28 W quad-core mobile (U) processor."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the desktops... "A report from Canard PC claims that Intel will thoroughly revise its CPU lineup for the Coffee Lake architecture, with an i7-8700K six-core, 12-thread processor being the top offering. This 8700K is reported to deliver its 12 threads at a 3.7 GHz base clock, and a 95 W TDP. These are comparable to AMD's Ryzen 5 1600X processor, which ships with the same six cores and 12 threads under the same TDP, though it has 100 MHz less in base clock speed."

If The New Intel i7 6 cores LGA shall be used for the new Clevo replacements for P7XX and P87XX series LGA laptops... They can't compete in processing powa vs, Ryzen R7 1700 in the new ASUSBOOK's.
    What a joke @Mr. Fox A big Joke!!! Game over for laptops!!

As expected.. The Intels advertised 30% boost vs. 7700K will put 8700K a bit over Ryzen 5 1600X. A Jokebook with locked down Ryzen 7 1700 will beat the best from Intel mainstream line.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    2GHz laptops here we come

Also, really, they think the 8-core 1700 with a 30% lower TDP at similar clocks will be outperformed what is essentially the 7800X? I mean, sorry Intel but unlikely. Coffee Lake is the same architecture but with more glue - IPC will probably be lower than Kaby Lake since clockspeeds are drastically reduced.

8. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Core Count is important but it's not Intel's strong point and never will. They should have focused on improving IPC performance instead . Say 30~50% then everyone will be happy
    More Core/Thread = More heat. FX 8350 , A10 6790k can oc up to 5GHz while the new Ryzen is stuck at 4GHz
    Bulldozer is bad and Coffee Lake is another Bulldozer :/

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The problem is Intel's utter lack of innovation or change. Kaby Lake is remarkably similar to Sandy Bridge - sure, it's been refined and tweaked but the base design is fundamentally the same. A 30% IPC improvement is nigh impossible on Intel's current platform and they know it - they're already hitting a brick wall and their 8-core CPUs are drawing 400W of power when compared to about 100W on Ryzen. And for what? 500MHz more? I personally don't think a ~15% performance improvement is worth a 300% increase in heat and power draw.

10. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know. Kaby Lake is Skylake Refresh ... Just like Devil's Canyon but this time it came with a ****ty TIM lol . Kaby Lake is a result of no competition , that's why it was outperformed by a mere 65W R7 1700