P750DM2-G From HID

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by PeenX2, Apr 8, 2017.

1. PeenX2

PeenX2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just got my new laptop.

Loaded up Windows and started playing around with it, and then wanted to see what was in BIOS. Been overclocking, including extreme OC's with Phase / LN2 for 20 years so no stranger to it, and I know my BIOS'es. (Although I feel like I'm missing something).

I know laptop was advertised as 4.7ghz, but mine was set 45,44,43,42 with -100 vcore on adaptive.

Been tweaking it, have it set to 47x all cores, 1.225v manual vcore (1.15v underload) and seems to be stable 1hr ROG realbench.

The issue I am having is no matter what I do in bios, once the GPU starts doing anything, the CPU drops to 42x even with only 1 core active. Checking wattage from wall, it pulls more wattage from wall from realbench at 4.7ghz (150w) then it does gaming, so not sure why it keeps dropping to 4.2ghz.

Does anyone know what BIOS setting could be causing this? Been tinkering with power settings for awhile and doesn't seem to help.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Firstly, please put your specs in your sig like all of us so we know your hardware better

Secondly, in your BIOS, set power limit 1 and 2 to 160000

Also set VR Current Limit to 2400 under PSYS Max Current and also do the same for IA/Core Current Limit, System Agent, and the one below it (I forgot, I think it's called ring current limit)

i would also fish for a setting called Efficient Turbo and disable that, if you read the tooltip next to it, it states that will lower your turbo limits so you don't want that

steberg likes this.
  3. PeenX2

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix, will do that later. It's 7700k, 16gb ram, 330watt psu, gtx 1070 on the Clevo P750DM2-G

All settings are already set they way you mentioned.

I only see VR Current limit under overclocking, no where else.

But still dropping to 4.2ghz under pretty much no load...90 watts from wall light gaming.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I sent you a PM to have a look at your BIOS settings

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox @Prema @Papusan @bloodhawk

So I just checked his BIOS settings like power limits and VR Current limits, all are good , 160000 power limits and 2400 VR Current limit but he is using static voltage and is getting throttling down to 4.2 GHz the moment the GPU has any load on it.

I did disable CFG Lock for him which he had enabled but it made no difference

I told him to set the voltage to adaptive but he says after another reboot, it would go back to -100mV so seems like a bug in the BIOS that if he sets an undervolt of -50mV instead of -100mV it doesn't stick on his P750DM2

Any ideas?

6. PeenX2

Reputations:
    @Prema We went over the bios settings, everything is good.

No matter what is changed, once the GPU is active, the CPU clock speed drops to 4.2ghz. This is on a P750DM2-G BIOS verson 1.06 05EVOC v1

Also, while using adaptive voltage, standard setting is -100. If I save and reboot at say -50, it will stay during 1 reboot. If I reboot again, it changes to -100 again.

@Phoenix Thank you for your help :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Phoenix likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you got my name wrong in the tag bro but you're welcome :D

8. PeenX2

Reputations:
    Ooops fixed :)

I think what's happening with the -100 adaptive is, it always says -100 in the bios. So if I set -50 and reset and never change anything else in the BIOS it will stay at -50.

But if I go into the BIOS and change anything at all, and save, it will save the -100 back.

Phoenix likes this.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    oh yes I forgot to tell you some settings don't stick if you change multiple things at once such as power limits as well

so do you get throttling now with adaptive voltage?

10. PeenX2

Reputations:
    Yeah it throttles in adaptive and override.