P750DM-G: some parts (esp. "0 mWh" battery) need replacing; also maybe future (2+ years) upgrades

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by pianoplayer88key, Oct 12, 2019.

1. pianoplayer88key

pianoplayer88key Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all...

So I've been using my P750DM-G for a few years or so now, in fact it's pretty much become my daily driver PC. (I also have a desktop with a 4790K, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060 3GB, several 10s of TBs of HDDs, etc, but have only powered it on for maybe a few days or so in the last year and a half or two.)

Main thing is I think I need a new battery NOW (it's totally dead I think), wonder if I should upgrade to the 330 W AC adapter, and the keyboard is so problematic that I'm using an external non-gaming keyboard right now; also not . (Also not sure if I'm fully Spectre-protected, and am thinking of future (2+ years) CPU / GPU / RAM upgrades, etc, but don't want a whole new laptop until DDR6/7 or later, and some of that is maxed out on the current BIOS / whatever.) Current budget won't allow doing everything at once, but after the battery, should I go for the AC adapter or the keyboard first?

Anyway, the battery has been deteriorating over the past year or more, and has now gotten to the point where in HWInfo64 it shows as 0 mWh capacity and 0 V charge and doesn't show wear level. (HWMonitor says 100% wear level and also 0 mWh capacity.) Also if I unplug the AC power cord from the back of the laptop it shuts off instantly.
    (A few months ago, it still showed maybe about a third or half capacity or so, and a bit over a year ago it would shut off in about 30 seconds under load or maybe 30 minutes at idle / power saver light load after unplugging.)

So I'm in need of a new battery last year, but where should I buy it? I originally bought the barebones laptop in December 2015 from RJTech and they have the battery for this laptop for $125, so I'm leaning toward getting it from them.

Also I have the 230W AC adapter right now, but am wondering if it might be a good idea to upgrade to the 330W adapter. RJTech has it for $165 as well. Currently the laptop has
    • i7-6700K (stock),
    • 64GB (4x16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 CL15 RAM
    • 250GB Crucial MX200 M.2 SSD (boot drive, Windows 10 Pro 1903)
    • 2x 1050GB Crucial MX300 2.5" SSD
    • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD
    • GTX 970M 6GB
    • 1080p 60Hz IPS G-Sync Display
    I originally had an i3-6100, 8GB RAM (single stick), a 2TB Samsung / Seagate Spinpoint M9T hard drive, while the GPU and display are still the same, so the 230W adapter would have been fine then but I wonder if I might be close to pushing its limits now.

Also my keyboard has given me problems for quite a while now - some keys are VERY flaky at best, a few don't even work anymore, and the backlight hasn't worked at all for a while now. (Right now I'm actually using a Logitech K270.) Yes, it's gotten very dirty under there, but when I tried cleaning it a few months ago, it didn't help and in fact I think made it worse.

RJTech has the keyboard for $125, I also see it on eBay for around $45-50 but am not as sure if that's the real deal or if there might be a "gotcha" with it.

Also my laptop isn't protected from Spectre. (IIRC that's the BIOS one, right - Meltdown's the software one?) I was reading up on some of the bios update threads a while back, and I'm not even sure if there's a true BIOS update available for it. (Also my BIOS has almost NO tweaking options. I know of Prema Mod but get the vibe that he might not be doing them anymore?)
    I've heard of some kind of Spectre patch, but if I understand it right, it appears to me that it mostly works in the OS, and if I reinstall the OS (or boot a different OS) I'd be back to square minus one? (I forget which thread it was in though.)

I may stand corrected on the lack of Spectre protection - I just ran InSpectre again and it showed "Vulnerable to Specre: NO". I never did any BIOS updates, but is it possible a Windows patch fixed it? But if it was a Windows patch, would I still be vulnerable if I install Linux (standalone, not in a VM, or put my dying 2TB drive back in which had a Linux install), or ... hey, I DO have an un-updated Windows install on another SSD, I should boot off that and see what it says, but don't think I'll do it anytime soon. I still suspect that it's maybe not a system-wide / OS-agnostic fix.
    However it still would be nice to not have such a limited BIOS, and have support for future CPUs / GPUs / more RAM / whatever.

I really wasn't planning to replace the laptop until at least DDR6 or DDR7 or whatever it's called is out, or something like that. I'm planning to upgrade my desktop from DDR3 / Haswell when DDR5 / Socket AM5 comes out, and would prefer to stagger my upgrades in the future (laptop -> desktop -> laptop -> desktop, etc), with no less than about 8 to 10 or more years between motherboard upgrades. Ideally I'd replace a dead (old age, not infant mortality) "Tier 1/A" power supply about ~3-4+ times before I replace a motherboard, or something like that.

----------------

Also speaking of future component upgrades (in maybe 2 or 3 years or so) for my current laptop...

I was really hoping that Intel would have continued their trend of doing a die shrink BEFORE breaking socket compatibility, even if they had to have more than 2 generations per socket. For example, I think PGA 478 had like 180 -> 130 -> 90 nm or something like that, LGA 775 I think had 130 -> 90 -> 65 -> 45 nm, LGA 1156 had 45 -> 32 nm, LGA 1155 had 32 -> 22 nm, LGA 1150 had 22 -> 14 nm. I was expecting LGA 1151, which started on 14 nm, would eventually have 10 nm (or 7 if they would have skipped 10), even if they had to release like 3 or 5 "plus" generations in between. Then, when they were starting to up core counts (Thanks, AMD!), I was hoping they might eventually release something like a 12-core, something like an i9-11900F or whatever, that would be drop-in compatible, and priced around $350 on the next Black Friday after its release.

As it sits now, it doesn't look like I have any upgrade path above my 6700K.
    One thing I was considering, if I couldn't upgrade to a 10 nm CPU, was to maybe get like an i9-9900 or 9900T (not the K, so long as I could still underclock and undervolt it, or if possible run all cores at the single-core turbo boost frequency) once it goes on sale Black Friday *AFTER* the next non-LGA1151 CPU comes out, and mod the laptop to be able to use that. I could use the extra threads, and don't really need more than about 4 GHz right now, if even that. Basically the plan was to upgrade to whatever flagship CPU was the last one on the same socket, and do that upgrade on the Black Friday AFTER the NEXT (non-1151) socket was released.

Same goes with the GPU. While I wasn't going to upgrade to the 10 series GPU, I was hoping to be able to upgrade to, say, what would probably be called something like a 7nm Ampere RTX 3070 (or 4070?), which I was hoping would have the same TDP as the 970M, but capable of 4K ultra 60+ fps gaming in AAA titles at the time of its release. But, we know what happened with Pascal, and it looks like Turing has continued the same, and I don't expect Ampere to change things for the better. :/

Also if I did that upgrade, I would have also wanted to upgrade to a 4K display at the same time.
    I went for the 970M / 1080p combo at the time of purchase due to budget constraints and needing to prioritize other things (the 2 TB mechanical hard drive being a big one). I could have gotten a 4K display for $100 more, but I really didn't want to drop an extra $400 or so on a 980M which STILL wouldn't have been good enough for 4K gaming. (Not that I play much now, and the game I've been playing recently at like 600p or 720p windowed (cause of only 1 display) is built on the HL1 / GoldSrc engine, but I still like to have it available.)

Also while I upgraded to 64 GB RAM several months ago, with all the stuff I'm doing I'm already flirting with the limit. Just last week or 2 I saw my RAM usage at about 62 GB, then the other day I saw it at about 50 GB AFTER I had closed a VM with 12 GB RAM assigned to it. (Also the graph in Windows Task Manager from before I closed the VM was actually higher than when it showed 62 GB last week or whenever it was.)

I was hoping that a BIOS update or whatever that would support 10nm CPUs (or at least Coffee Lake Refresh) would add support for the 32GB DIMMs, although I feel even that wouldn't be enough. I'm thinking that for my next system, support for Registered ECC / LRDIMMs would be required, as well as support for 1 TB unbuffered memory in 4 slots (256 MB -> 4 GB -> 64 GB -> 1 TB seems like a logical progression, each being 16x more, to continue my past pattern, although there was a 32 GB desktop PC right before the 64 GB laptop), among other things.

I see Eurocom has a P750DM to P750TM1 upgrade kit, but that's like $890, not THAT far below the cost of a new laptop, AND I suspect "CPU and GPU sold separately". What might that kit entail, though?

EuroCom also has the battery for $163, 330W AC adapter for $191, and keyboard for $139, but RJTech is cheaper. Those are pretty much the only two places I've seen that sell upgrade components for my laptop, unless, are there others?

(I almost considered adding some thumbnail screenshots showing my laptop all but falling on its knees begging for mercy cause of all the stuff I do on it, but decided to leave pics out of this post for now.)

2. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Firstly, for your current setup, the 230W adapter is perfectly fine so I wouldnt bother upgrading that unless there is a cheap one you can nab. If the battery is really that important to you, I would suggest sourcing it from places like Exotic PC etc (RJTech is also fine) as they offer 12 months warranty on the batteries and are guaranteed to be genuine products as opposed to the ones on places like eBay where they could be knockoffs or stock from old batches. Keyboards sourced from places like eBay on the other hand have been perfectly fine from my experience.

As far as I'm aware, I do not believe it is possible for you to upgrade the GPU to the 10XX series from NVidia, the P750DMs **Official** upgrade path ends at the 9XX series. Processor wise, your only upgrade path is the 7700K which does not make any sense unless you really want to overclock and get the most out of your system (cooling barely handles OC'd 6700k), but at that point, you may as well sell what you have and purchase a new system with the 9700k/9900k for the additional cores/threads which will help with VM.

I think it would be easier for people to help you if you were to summarize what you're actually looking for instead of making people dig through your entire post to find exactly what it is you need help with.

For example:
    - Do you need the portability?
    - Do you overclock?
    - Where are you based?
    - Your own personal use cases

3. pianoplayer88key

Reputations:
    Okay @Prmt , I guess I'll just keep the 230W adapter then.

As it is right now, I can't run the laptop unplugged at all (if I pull the plug out from the back, it will have already shut off while the plastic part of the plug is still in direct physical contact with the plastic part of the socket), and would like to be able to do that sometimes. I don't see any batteries for sale at Xotic (unless I suck at searches), but Sagernotebook has it for $125, but it's the NP9758 version - would that still be okay?

Ahh okay, well I might consider getting a keyboard on ebay, then, just don't think I'm ready to do it yet. (Also the last time I bought something there was a few years ago, and the bulk of my buying was probably closer to 10 or more years ago. I have no negative feedback but my score is around 40, have had the account since January 2001. Anything I should consider / be aware of / try to do / whatever, as far as maybe sellers not sure if they should consider me a "legit" buyer due to my low activity?)

So ... RJTech for a Clevo P750DM-G battery, or Sagernotebook for a NP9758 battery? Both are the same price, although idk if there'd be a difference in sales tax. (My zip code is for El Cajon, CA, but I'm outside city limits.)

"Summarize vs dig through" ... I prefer making fewer but longer posts, combining multiple things into one topic whenever I can. I still fairly vividly remember the lesson I learned back in the late 1990s / early 2000s when I was banned from a forum for making many frequent short posts - they basically called it spam, iirc.

As for the other less important (for now, might revisit around 2021 or so) things....

Yeah, it looks like the 970M and 6700K might be the end of the line for me in this laptop. (Going to the 980M and 7700K wouldn't be worth it for me.) I was really hoping for a GPU that could do 4K in AAA games at a similar FPS to what the 970M could do in eSports games at 1080p, and for 2x or more the cores / threads on the CPU, but.... :/

As for the new laptop, I was wanting to hold off on upgrading until around 2025 or 2030 (or whenever DDR6 or DDR7 comes out). DDR5 / 2021 was going to be the time I upgrade my desktop PC, and .... I don't want to upgrade both at the same time, As things are now I probably couldn't afford to do that anyway. (Also if my income stays low I'd probably have to delay my desktop upgrade to DDR6 - I don't like buying in the middle of a socket cycle or when sockets are changing frequently. I'd like to have good longevity on my motherboard; for example I wouldn't be buying an AM4 motherboard now and probably also wouldn't have with Ryzen 2000 series).

"Sell what you have" ... yeah ... don't think I'd be able to do that by the time I was ready to replace the entire laptop / motherboard. If I could upgrade the 6700K in place I would sell that, but that'd be an exception rather than the rule. (I still have the original i3-6100, have been considering repurposing it for a NAS due to its ECC support - current board under consideration is the MSI C236A Workstation if it comes back in stock, but also considering other sockets.)

Anyway though, by the time I'd get ready to sell my system, the CPU's value would have fallen such that...
    Me: *hands my i7-6700K to a poor destitute person who desperately needs a replacement CPU* "Here, you can have this, it's free."
    Poor destitute person: *throws the CPU at my face hard enough to send me to the hospital in a helicopter* "TAKE AND THROW THIS £µ¢κING $#!+ AWAY!! I DON'T WANT IT, It's worthless, even for scrap materials, nevermind powering a system! Even the i9-19980XE or Xeon 9289 or Threadripper 9990WX or Epyc 7749 is worse now than a Pentium III was when this 6700K was new!"
    Okay I wouldn't keep the 6700K THAT long :p but by the time I was ready to get rid of the entire platform (if I didn't upgrade the CPU before then) I wouldn't be able to give the CPU away even for free.

Also when I do motherboard changes, I really prefer a pretty big upgrade in performance. For example when I replace my desktop's ASRock Z97 Extreme6, the then-equivalent of a Celeron or Atom -Y or whatever should be faster than an 8-way Haswell or Broadwell (same generation / whatever as my current desktop) Xeon E7-88xx v3 / v4 setup (or whatever would be the maximum number of those possible in a server cabinet / blades /whatever).
    Even if I don't get quite a jump like that, I still expect at least the same jump in price-to-performance over time as my dad had when he upgraded from a $300 (estimated) 286-10 in January 1989 to a $100 486DX4-120 in October 1995. (I bought my i7-4790K in January 2015, and the same time interval would get to October 2021.) Even better, I'd catch up to where we would be if that pace of price/performance improvements had never slowed down (or if it was ever faster than that, THAT pace).
    Another upgrade criteria would be for the new CPU to be as fast at encoding 4K H.265 video at maxed-out settings in Handbrake, as my current CPU is at encoding 320kbps mp3. In one test I did, it took about 4 days or so to encode a 4-minute video, and about 2 minutes IIRC to encode about 2 hours of audio.

Suffice it to say, a complete system upgrade is not in the cards for me right now.
    Portability - I do have a recent thread on wanting a more than 8 thread GPD Pocket, but for now (as I said in that thread) have decided to wait to buy that.
    Overclock - I don't right now. I would prefer to have the same headroom for overclocking that I've heard CPUs in the late 2000s or earlier had. (I think I've heard some could do like +75 to >100 % OC on the stock cooler on stock voltage without breaking a sweat, or is my imagination stretching it a bit, for like the i5-2500K, some Core 2 Duo, maybe lower-end Pentium 4, Celeron 300A, etc?)
    I'm east of San Diego, CA. (For sales tax purposes, I'm outside any city limits, but my zip code ties to El Cajon; however while they have a higher tax rate I think that only applies within city limits.)
    As for personal use cases, there'd be a ton of stuff I do with it, which might be better to say when I'm actually ready to make a post saying "Hey I need a new laptop / desktop, what should I get?" Also summarizing that wouldn't be possible, as for me all the details would be important. It's really hard to to a TL;DR, cause the details would completely change the scope of the post.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A 970M and 6700K does not need a 330W brick unless you intend to really push it hard (Core volt mods, power limit removal and memory volt mods) and want to rule out the brick as a potential limit.

pianoplayer88key likes this.
  5. pianoplayer88key

Reputations:
    Okay @Meaker@Sager I'll just continue using the 230W brick then. It generally hasn't given me any problems, however I was kind-of wondering if it might be part of the reason why my battery has depleted so fast. Even a year and a half ago it would shut off after less than a minute under load, and over the last year plus, when I get a BSOD the system would shut off before it even finished the % countup for writing the dump file.

The battery's only 3 years 10 months old (plus the time it sat in the warehouse before I bought it) - my dad didn't replace the battery in his Dell D830 (bought August/September 2008) until sometime in 2017, so about 9 years, and it was his daily driver computer.

I do run my laptop plugged in all the time (then so I wouldn't run out of battery, now because I have no functional battery), as well as it being on almost 24/7. (My dad also kept his plugged in, but would hibernate it at night or also when he wasn't using it for several hours at a time or something like that.) Could that have been a factor in shortening the life of the battery?

Speaking of the battery, I briefly googled the laptop model and battery and came up with some other places selling it for around $60 or so, but what @Prmt said above makes me wary of them.

Also Sager has the NP9758 version of the battery (NP9758 = P750DM-G, right?), also for $125.

Upon adding it to the cart at each place (to check differences in tax / shipping), RJTech would be charging $11.88 tax and Sager would be charging $9.06 tax. Also, shipping is $13.23 at RJTech for USPS Priority Mail and free at Sager for UPS Ground.

That brings the total to $150.16 at RJTech, or $134.06 at Sager, which is a fairly significant difference. I know you can't mix BIOS updates (as in you can't use a Sager BIOS on a Clevo laptop), but what about batteries? I'm leaning toward the Sager NP9758 battery, but would it be fine in the Clevo P750DM-G? (I'm guessing it would be, as the replacement battery in my dad's old Dell D830 laptop is actually a D820 battery. Also he has a newer laptop now that he bought in early 2018.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes, any p750 system can swap batteries as far as I know. Feel free to email support and they can confirm with you 100%.

pianoplayer88key likes this.
  7. pianoplayer88key

Reputations:
    Okay @Meaker@Sager I went ahead and ordered it. The site says they don't process orders on the weekends, so I presume they'd get to it Monday? Also I'm east of San Diego (zip 92020) so would it be reasonable to expect to get it Wednesday or maybe Thursday since I'm not all that far from City of Industry? (When I've ordered things from Newegg which I think is also in CoE, I've frequently gotten them literally the very next day, although they're usually pretty quick.)

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It will probably pretty quick considering where you are, they will let you know if its delayed for any reason.

pianoplayer88key and joluke like this.