P750DM-G GTX 1070 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Brad Robinson, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, same results either way, power light comes on for about 20 seconds, turns off, then comes back on again, not a flicker on the screen or even a power up ‘glow’ with either card.

2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    After the flash you unplugged the power to the laptop and plugged it back in?
    Also you can try removing the cmos and main battery for 30 seconds, then try to repower on.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I believe the p771dm was modded to have the msi 1070 and 4k screen so it should work with the right card...

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    He has a P750DM-G.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The same mod I believe works in my p750zm

Will know probably in a weeks time.

6. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GPU is dead on arrival.
    Sorry,
    I have seen this happens with others chineese 1070's crap.
    The most common problem is that GPU is not making good contacts to the PCB board as being slightly slanted. Reballing is only temporal solution and in few months will be back to the same state as yours.
    Your only option is to take it back to the seller and to get MSI 1070.
    Those black PCB chineese 1070s are the biggest garbage I have ever seen.

7. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    At this point of frustration I think I’m just going to sell off this laptop and look for a pascal architecture laptop. However, I need to get this laptop working again. I didn’t get any notifications for this thread, so over the last couple days I called around and if needed, I do have a local shop that will solder in a new Bios chip if I provide one.
    Johnksss- yes, after flash (which definitely said ‘successful’), I powered off and pulled the power cord, battery was out. I have not pulled the CMOS, so I will try that.
    A replacement programmed bios chip is on its way; they are so cheap, I won’t complain if I don’t wind up needing it in the end.
    I will look up the ‘2 key press’ BIOS reset procedure from USB in the SATA/USB combo port if pulling the CMOS battery doesn’t work. I have the stock bios backed up and also as a fresh download on my hard drive.
    Just curious, if I need it, can anyone confirm if this is the BIOS chip in the picture that needs to be replaced if it comes down to that?

8. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    Possible Bios Chip?

Attached Files:

9. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That does appear to be the right chip.

However rather than solder a replacement chip in place, I would suggest following these instructions:
    https://www.win-raid.com/t4287f16-G...H-A-SPI-Programmer-Flasher-With-Pictures.html

Buy a SOP8 clip, read the contents of the current chip to have a backup and to confirm that it is the bios chip (can open the file with amibcp 5.x or mmtool).

Then flash whatever bios you want. The beauty of this method is that if the bios you chose is not compatible, you just continue trying another one until it works. Soldering is annoying.

10. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    He will more than likely have to have power to the board or else he wont be able to read the bios chip....