P750DM-G GTX 1070 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Brad Robinson, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Almost forgot, vBios is 86.04.42.00.03; the version I tried without improvement was 86.04.56.00.1E, and full Device ID is 10DE 1BA1 1558 7502

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
  3. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    I flashed within windows using NVFlash, also used Techpowerup to find the Clevo Bios I used as well, so we’re on the same page.

4. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    Also, checking through that list, I didn't find a single vBios that supports UEFI, which is odd since the manufacturer told me to enable it, I saw in other threads that it needs to be enabled, that's what got my computer to have a screen, and yet I also can't see the UEFI boot logo and the menus are invisible first logging in.

5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I think you should read though over here, because you need a programmer to flash 10 and 20 series cards unless i'm missing something?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/

Unless you are using a modified nvflasher and factory vbios with the right commands, i guess that would work. I forget as I never use nvflash as it does not dump the whole vbios nor can you flash a modified vbios with it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  6. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    I’m responding from my phone and the image is on my PC, but I checked the card with GPU-Z and the vBios did flash correctly with NVFlash. I did have to use a modified version of NVFlash to get it to work because the sub model of my card had literally zero associated vBioses online, but it did reprogram without issue.

7. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    Well, I went back and forth with the seller online and it was pretty useless. Despite not having a screen during UEFI boot, they suggested I just needed new drivers, and recommended trying both driver genius and a piece of spyware on my computer. I humored them by putting on driver genius, which didn't work because my computer is still reading this as a Microsoft VGA GPU. I knew it wouldn't solve my issues, but didn't want pushback from the seller. So, at this point they're saying to have me return the card. Once I get the refund to Paypal from the first card I sent back, I'm planning to get another 1070, but this time through eBay from someone who will put on the correct vBios in the first place to at least eliminate one hurdle. Questions I have before doing this:

Anything I should look for/avoid on a new 1070 card?
    I have searched like crazy for a MB Bios that would help, and all of them seem like a 'maybe', which isn't really good enough to try. I have sent a message to @Prema as well to see if there is a way to get their Bios. Any other suggestions for MB bios?

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I think the card will work, but without the right vBios and bios, your just throwing things at the problem and hoping for the best. That is very time consuming....

Prema wont help as your product would have had to be bought through a Prema partner.

I'm guessing you really need to flash the bios, then flash the correct Clevo vBios for G-Sync Or Non G-Sync for your card.

You should be able to see the bios with or without legacy mode enabled.

9. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    So, I spent several hours today searching through these forums and several others on the Internet about a good vbios and mb bios to use on my computer. It seemed clear that the one that was best guaranteed to have compatibility came from the thread I linked at the very beginning of this thread and I went forward with dsanke’s Bioses. I flashed the 1070 without issue, then I flashed my motherboard without issue. Rebooted the computer, and nothing. The power light comes on for about four seconds, then it reboots, then nothing. No screen, no external screen, it seemed that it is pretty well bricked. I am besides myself with frustration, thank you guys for all your help, But at this point I am probably just going to sell off the laptop with the bricked bios and buy something used locally.

10. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Surely it will still boot with the 980M currently?