P750DM-G GTX 1070 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Brad Robinson, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking for some guidance- I purchased a GTX 1070 off eBay a few weeks ago, installed it in my P750DM-G and did not get a screen at all to even get into the MB Bios. I have the 4K, 60Hz screen. Sent it back and ordered a new one off Amazon figuring the return process would be easier, and yet again I have no screen. So, now I'm thinking it's something I'm not prepping on the laptop. It's on the latest stock Clevo MB Bios, and I haven't seen this raised as an issue in any other threads from people that have done this upgrade, just info about modifying the INF files. Would appreciate any suggestions before I send back and get a 3rd card, which at this point I'm assuming won't work either.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Upgrade from what exactly?

You need a Clevo bios that has the 1070 added.
    You need a Clevo vBios depending on G-Sync or Non G-Sync.
    You may also need the 1070 heat sink if you dont already have it.
    And sending back for a 3rd will net the exact same results....

3. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    I currently have a 980M. When I put that in and replaced my stock 970M, I was able to flash the vBios from within windows (so it did boot with the wrong vBios), and my laptop does have an upgraded heatsync and the larger power supply. It looks like the key issue is the MB Bios. Right now the Prema Bios is not available, but I have seen this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...clevo-laptops-rtx-cards-now-supported.825558/
    However, it’s not clear to me if I should only use that bios if I’m also updating my processor and willing to do hardware mods (which I’m trying to avoid). As well, I don’t have a UEFI version of Windows 10 installed so I’m not doing UEFI boot, if that matters. I guess I need to start with some direction on where to look for a MB bios or if the one I linked above is a good route to take. I’ve searched for a modded bios in the past, but only found one I was comfortable trying and the flash utility just crashed, so if I can find the name of that one I’ll post it just to rule one out.

4. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What system did the 1070 originally come out of? Got a photo of the card ?

5. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    They said it is new, don’t recall on the first card. Here is the item: New 8GB Graphics Video Card GTX1070 Replacement, for Clevo P150EM P150SM P170EM P370EM P570WM P750 MSI GT60 GT70 GT72 GT80 Gaming Laptop Computer, nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 GDDR5 GPU Upgrade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088PXPVXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n0seFbVD9AZBN

I’ve attached photos I took myself.

Attached Files:

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Hummm, I have never tried any of those bios files before so I can not speak on the validity of them.
    The Prema bios has been profected as in the whole bios works. And when it crashes he knows how to fix it from scratch...
    As long as you still have the other card, you are fine. Swap cards and try flashing the bios.(But i would do quite a lot of reading first! And also understand the mechanics and having a backup plan to recover) Then swap cards and see if it shows up. You are going to need it if you plan on running anything higher than a 6700K

7. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    Is there any way to even buy Prema’s bios right now? The page on his website doesn’t have a purchase or download option and I understand all the download links have been scrubbed. The link I posted refers to needing a larger bios chip than stock, so I don’t think I’d try to go that route.

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. Brad Robinson

Reputations:
    Good catch, thank you. I've actually searched for and pinned several threads talking about this specific upgrade. Every one mentions needing to do a INF File Mod, some mention vBios, none mention needing a modded MB Bios, which is why I figured the first card was just broken. I think it should still boot without the correct vBios, as my 980M definitely came with a non-Clevo Bios and booted fine. I'm not going to be able to flash it without getting a screen first anyway.

10. Damin

Damin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Brad how's it going ... I'll do your .inf mod if you need help . This card will work in your system and very well in fact. Do you have TeamViewer?