P670RG display upgrade search

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by tomek_prime, Mar 4, 2020.

1. tomek_prime

tomek_prime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I did a clean install of graphics card drivers, reset the CMOS.

This has not allowed the display to be detected as G-Sync.

After turning on DISCRETE gpu, only the first time I need to configure the resolution, but after restarting, the resolution is retained, NCP launches automatically, but no option to turn on G-Sync. Have you got any other ideas about what could be the issue here?

2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe turn off fast boot, if restarting allows things to launch, whatever startup image it has saved might not be loading something correctly.

3. tomek_prime

Reputations:
    Hey, if you mean the hybernation to be turned off, I did that long time ago. Don't really see the option to disable fast boot anywhere where any guide tells me to look for it.

I pretty much have every other option in NCP available, apart from the damn G-Sync.

I also noticed that in Aida it tells me that the video bios version is from 08/10/15, would that have any bearing on the whole thing? Would I need to update that at all for the card to support G-Sync? I understand that the whole EDID flashing thing would be a no-go? Since I have not heard anything from @t456 in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Fast boot is a bios feature on newer machines.

5. tomek_prime

Reputations:
    well, it does not seem to appear in my bios options anywhere so I will assume it's not present. I am turning my head more and more towards @t456 EDID flashing, but my display does not seem to accept his version of the lubuntu image, so I am looking through the forums for an updated version.

6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it's not in BIOS, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings > Shutdown settings > Turn on fast startup (recommended)

It will be grayed out, there's a UAC link at the top that says Change settings that are currently unavailable, it will make them selectable.

7. tomek_prime

Reputations:
    Hey @t456 or @Mr. Fox I have been trying to get G-Sync working on my laptop for a couple of days now. According to your correct EDID repos there are two versions of my display LGD046C - LP173WF4-SPD1 60Hz non-gsync and 75Hz gsync. How do I determine which one do I have? Or are they one and the same only on a different configuration?

EDIT: It shows as 75Hz for me now once I enabled DISCRETE gpu, but still no G-Sync option for me so your help will be more than appreciated now.

Would you be able to determine if my panel is configured correctly, please, looking at the below dumps?

I am also getting the following error message when opening the MonInfo app
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whole file dump available here:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=94472235292987529581

I also cannot access the lubuntu as I get black screen, but will keep trying once I get the response from you guys.

8. tomek_prime

Reputations:
    Thanks, as I say, this option does not exist for me, I believe it may have something to do with turning off hibernation system-wide.

EDIT: On DISCRETE gpu mode, the panel runs in 75Hz, so there is clearly something wrong as it should have detected the G-Sync

I have posted in http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...especially-10-bricking-systems.781467/page-59 this thread to see if these guys would be able to advise me about the EDID dumps.

If you have any other ideas about this issue that can be resolved without the flashing invasion, I will greatly appreciate it.

9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    It is, by and large, a non-G-Sync panel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 'true' g-sync version for the LP173WF4-SPD1 has an edid with checksum '3D' (and 75Hz timings). There's also an edid with checksum '18' and 75+60Hz timings, but might have created that one myself (administration thingy, ahem ...).

That is not to say it can't do g-sync, but the bios and or vbios won't recognise it as a 'validated' (=premium paid) panel. The driver would recognise the GPU (vbios) and system (bios) are g-sync approved (paid $s to Nvidia) and might even set the default 75Hz mode, but without a valid edid check the buck stops there. The 75Hz change is a nice bonus though and you might still overclock it further with CRU and see how it fares.

Another thing to check is a vbios update; a new version might include the 'D0' edid as a validated panel. Slim chance really, but can't hurt to try. Also check the bill of sale; if it says 'g-sync' under the specifications then you'd be warranted to send it back to your reseller (or ask them to ship you a '3D' version of the same panel).

Flashing the '3D' checksum edid is unfortunately not possible with the linux tools since these can only deal with LVDS panels (plus direct gpu access to the panel, so no Optimus or Enduro). There was one 18.4"+120Hz that might've been eDP and still allowed edid flashing though, but this WF4 won't sail.

Hardware flashing is a possibility, but there's risks involved, more so than with bios and vbios flashing. I'll drop a line in the EVGA thread on that since @MrMogwai is planning something similar.

tomek_prime likes this.
  10. tomek_prime

Reputations:
    Thanks, good to finally have a definitive answer. Shame it won't work as true g-sync but the bump up in Hz is definitely noticable.
    In terms of g-sync enabled panels that would work on this model tho, is there any specific model that you can recommend, @t456?