P650RS-G, GL502VS, or GT62VR? Can't decide!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by thraxis, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thraxis

thraxis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright, you mad computer wizards, I'm back for more. I've gathered a few likeminded people who are all looking to upgrade, and am hoping to get multiples of the same laptop to distribute among us. It's going to make troubleshooting their various issues so much simpler.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Clevo P650RS-G, Asus GL502VS, and the MSI GT62VR (and 17" versions of the above). I am open to other options if I've missed something better. I'm aiming to get a higher-than-60Hz refresh rate on this device, but it's not an absolute dealbreaker.

1) What is your budget?
    $2000, with wiggle room. The lower it is, the more of these laptops I can get.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Clevo, ASUS
    b. Dislike: Dell, HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    I'd prefer not to, but if there's a crazy good bargain, I'll take it.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, light internet usage, and more gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mobility is preferred, but not a hard requirement.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, lots of games; ideally, AAA games. Bare minimum, it needs to run Civ 6 like a dream.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I do not expect more than an hour of battery life. Two would be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I am totally fine with never having seen the laptop, but pictures would be nice.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows, unfortunately.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    1080p/WUXGA/FHD or similar seems to be the sweet spot. I could go higher, but I'd prefer not to. My real requirement is the refresh rate: I'm tired of 60Hz and would prefer at least 75, with 120Hz being ideal. However, I've heard

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    No real preference, but I guess I'd go with matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not the ultimate deciding factor, but a deciding factor.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    As soon as humanly possible. Civ 6 comes out in three days!

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    My current laptop is still chugging along after four and a half years, but that seems to be an anomaly. If I can get three out of this new one, I'll be satisfied.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I'm looking for about 200GBish on a PCI-E SSD and at least 1TB of actual storage

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    I'd prefer a laptop that does NOT have an optical drive. That is internal space better spent on other things, like cooling systems.

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I believed the P650RS was the best option (own it). I wrote this guide here, and talk about all these in your price category: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gaming-laptop-guide-pascal-edition.796958/

There are no 120Hz monitors inside your budget really unless your willing to get like a GT73 with a 1060... Which is stupid.

The MSI 120Hz panels also have awful response time.

The 17" Clevo P670RS has a 75Hz display that normally OCs to 100Hzish.

The GT72 has a 120Hz option coming soon but its the slow response one.

The 1440p 120Hz displays have the best response time, and are only on the P775DM3, P870DM3, AW17, and Aorus X7.

chezzzz likes this.
  3. fmmsf

fmmsf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but are these 1440p screens you speak of compatible with the p670rp6, Galm?

4. thraxis

Reputations:
    I found your guide immeasurably helpful! I was leaning towards the P650RS; if I decide to go that route, do you have any advice on where/from whom I should get it?

Well, I suppose that answers that... Getting a 1070 is a higher priority than a higher refresh rate. Does the P650RS have the same refresh rate as the P670RS, or does it trudge along at 60Hz like the rest?

The P870DM3 is a no-go on budget grounds, but if I can wring some more blood from these stones (and raise our collective budget), the P775DM3 and Aorus X7 might be within reach. I've been burned (literally) by an Alienware in the past, but if you recommend it I'd be open to giving them another chance. On the off chance I can raise more money, which of those higher-budget options would you recommend?

5. Galm

Reputations:
    P650 is 60Hz. If you want the higher Hz the P670RS would be the way to go.

P775DM3 is the best option for value (if your increasing your budget/it's thick). Get an i5 6600k, 1070 or 1080 and 1440p 120Hz screen.

Would not do Alienware until more reviews come in, seems like its a hot running machine.

Happy to answer further questions

I'm not 100% sure but I doubt it. You need to ask if the connectors etc... On the P775DM3 are the same as the P670RS. It's possible but I don't have a P775 to play around with.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    fmmsf likes this.
  6. thraxis

Reputations:
    Do you have personal experience with the P670RS's screen? How noticeable is the difference in framerate? Additionally, would you say there's enough of a difference between FHD and QFHD on a 15" screen to merit the upgrade?

Is the processor upgradeable after-market? If I stumble across an i7-6700K sitting in the middle of the road, would I be able to use it with the P775DM3?

I think I'll take your advice here. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice...

7. Galm

Reputations:
    75Hz vs 60Hz is... noticeable, but idk if its worth getting the bigger machine. When you get to around 100Hz though I think it feels a good deal smoother.

Second question: Yes. You could get an i5 6400 now if you wanted and get a 7700k down the road (note that's because the socket is the same, that probably won't work with the 8700k after). This potentially is also true with gpus. The MXM-B format always used to be upgradeable but the 10 series didn't work in older machines, so MXM-B may be gone soon, or incompatible at least each new generation.

Third: Alienware went down hill once Clevo stopped making them. I'd say they are kind of a shadow of their former self. However, the newer models are certainly more promising. Since they aren't socketed they are finally getting thinner, and the screen options are good. However, I'm still very worried about temps and don't think that they are good value machines.

chezzzz and thraxis like this.
  8. mishkasm

mishkasm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the P670RS-G and I think the screen is great. Granted, I do not have the 60hz screen of the P650 to easily compare the two, so I do not know how much difference there is. But the better screen is one of the things that tipped it in favor of the 17 inch laptop for me.

thraxis likes this.
  9. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd say go for the MSI GT62VR - it is a great pick from what I've read. Ask @Talon and @Diversion - they owned them before switching to the Eurocom Tornado F5, which I'd also recommend.

thraxis likes this.
  10. Galm

Reputations:
    I would recommend the Tornado F5 over the GT62VR as well if you can stretch your budget a bit.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    chezzzz, thraxis and ThePerfectStorm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.