P377SM-A with 1070N, Need help; screen not recognized

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Dec 28, 2016.

1. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So i install a msi 1070N in my p377sma. First, it is recognized as "unknow" in bios. ( PremaMod bios)
    Then during installation ( .inf mod), after i accept installing this unknow driver, the screen became black. i wait 10mn to be sure driver is installing even with this black screen. i reboot, gpu still as unknow in bios, i can see my screen but once i reach the new windows logo, the screen start to flicker some weird color ( green arround corner ) for a second then it become black. i boot windows with my fingerprint. I install with my hdmi a projector and i can see my desktop. But in nvidia or windows display setting, my internal screen is not detected. Is it a conflict because i am not sure i am uefi 100% or something else?? Thanks for all advise. Gonna test now the gpu to see if it clock well during game

My screen is a auo 4k edp connected running at 4.85-5.12v
    my hdmi screen is a benq w710st projector

Thanks for any help! :)

2. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Benchmarking good, gaming gta5 perfect....just my screen not recognized. i have to travel soon so i dont have time to test my 120Hz edp screen. Someone has an idea why this screen doesnt want to work?

with an original edp 120hz lg screen where hotkey worls, its working..

with 4k mod screen( hotkey brightness not working), it boot but once reaching windows boot logo, blackscreen (i can use an external screen)
    Something in this gpu doesnt want to start up with my 4k mod screen.

well.. i remembered its was working before i instal any .inf mod driver. But latency was very slow.

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    You might want to get into ouch with @Prema. Might some handshake thing going on. Does the laptop have Optimus/iGPU?
    Or only the dGPU.?

4. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    only Dgpu.
    Something weird....i uninstal only nvidia driver, restart and the screen work but disgusting, like 30hz and not well color.. i check display setting and the screen is at 64Hz..... thats why it is weird maybe... how to downclock it?? i cant even with CRU i doesnt change anything. i cant try with nvidia because once driver installed, display not recognized.
    20161228_201407-645x637.jpg
    20161228_201407-645x637.jpg

5. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Try making an export of all non-dummy panel edids with MonInfo.

Something's not right; 64 Hz would never turn up as an 'official' value, so the drivers appear to be confused. You may need to clean up the registry in order to fix this; navigate to 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\' and check the data and/or export the lot.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The BIOS name string is a simple detection that puts text in that box, it has no other impact other than that so don't worry about that.

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for info. as i just leave, cannot test it during this week :(
    But how can i know if this gpu is not with an gsync vbios? is there a way to see it.

Because even with black screen and driver installed. if i shutdown and switch with 120hz edp, working.
    So i dont know if its a bad driver mod...but it cant be that bcse i still dont understand why my system will detect without nvidia driver my screen at 64hz... Best way to know is someone with this same panel, same gpu and look in windows if display is also clocked at 64hz. i dont know if i can try a non gsync vbios.

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you tried creating a "custom" profile with 60hz for the internal panel to see if it is the problem? 64hz is about as good as any B173ZAN01.0 I've heard of. Mine (label on the back says HW V2) tops at 63 but when it warms up I get graphic corruption, 64hz causes instant black screen. Even at default 60hz I get corruption on Chrome sometimes with certain pages and certain tables at certain zoom factors, the worst is actually NBR and some of the EVOC / HID graphics in some users' sigs! Extremely wierd. I can run the same pages on FF with no issue.

Also, my panel shows as Gsync capable in the control panel, have set it and haven't noticed any tearing so have to assume it's working.

edit: I have no brightness control though, I tried all the regedit key hacks with no success. It's stuck at full bright so it's all good :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    64Hz is because of the EDP bandwith limit at 4k.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I have a different question...

exactly how did you get a 1070N to fit in this machine? Did you find a MXM-B variant of a GTX 1070? And what 4K panel did you put in the machine, and how did you make it fit? As far as I know the lid dimensions and screw mounting orientation are all completely different, and there is no possible way you could fit a GTX 1070N into either slot.

I'm certain you'll need the vBIOS modified and likely a sBIOS mod as well to get the GPU up and running better.