1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

p370em upgrade from 1x gtx 680m to 2x 7970m CF

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sewek1988, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sewek1988

sewek1988 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello:)
    I have clevo p370em with this spec:
    I7 3740qm
    GTX 680m 4gb
    2x4gb hyperx 1600mhz
    750gb scorpio black
    Upgrade to 7970m cross fire will be a good choice ?? ( i pay for it 100$ extra)

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Masta of Biotech-Desasta

Reputations:
    performance-wise sure, why not? just be aware that ull need a specific crossfire-profile for every and any game u want to play as opposed to "general" compatibility through the driver when just gaming on a single card ;)

3. Tirenz

Tirenz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why not adding another GTX 680m?

4. jaybee83

Reputations:
    id say pricing? :D altho its not clear to me if the OP already HAS the laptop or is just putting an order in for it

5. Tirenz

Reputations:
    Ah, ok! If it´s an order then going with 7970m crossfire makes sense. If he already has that laptop/ config, I think it would be cheaper going with a second GTX 680m. Of course, he can sell the single GTX 680m and then it makes sense again. But from my experience, I would take SLI and not crossifre ;).

6. Aisan

Aisan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Just so you know I placed my order with 2 atis 7970m crossfire 5 days ago.

After I placed my order I just check all over the net for my choise , full reading in forums,translate from German sites,PL sites, Swedish sites, all over the net...

Even of enduro is off there are some major problems,mostly driver's side.

Ati 7970m is powerfull card, 2 of them are über super duper,but , ....
    if they work correctly, if they don't heat up , if the drivers are good and if your cards are from a good production bash.And if ,IF, mother Ati want to support its sold out product.
    Yes they have sold (out ) , more than Nvidia.

So if you choose to remain in Nvidia side, you have all the ifs,simply deleted, It's performing well and most of all stable in games cause of stable drivers, not so many fatal errors as hardware and you can have support by community members cause the problems you may face, they can simply fixed by options. they don't go hot as hell and you can also stable over clock em.

so, my question yesterday ,was to my self, why I need this machine (p370em) ?

I want it , to just score more in benchmarks/3dmarks/unigine bla bla and in real games to have throttling, high temperatures, unplayable games?unstable drivers? I answered NO,

I want a stable laptop, cause its laptop and even if its Clevo there still remains laptop ,missing a lot of plug and play standalone pcs...

so just before shipping I changed my mind and I changed my order to 1 single Nvidia 680m gtx.
    Hope I helped a bit, I am sorry just my personal opinion!

Thank you.

7. sewek1988

Reputations:
    I already have P370em:)
    Buying a second GTX 680m is too expensive for me, besides my resseler takes my GTX and offers 2x7970m and I have to pay extra $ 100 for the cost of upgrading and because 2x7970m but is a little more expensive than the 1x680m,
    I think it's a good deal, because I'm using this laptop for three weeks, and my GPU is not new.
    I only worried about temperatures ( CF is hot in p370em) and micro shuttering in CF.
    Thank you for your opinion but I just want something more efficient, because, unfortunately, one GTX 680m is not as efficient as the two 7970m and SLI is unfortunately too expensive for me. In addition, AMD has a lot of drivers improved their games and most efficient is 7970m , 2x7970m is a huge different for one 680m i think.

8. Tirenz

Reputations:
    Then go for it :). As Jaybee pointed out, be prepared that crossfire needs more user-action. Updating or creating profiles, and so on. I had many black and blue screens with my 6970m crossfire setup, but maybe it´s not that worse anymore with 7970m.
    But I think I would go for it anyhow. ;)

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 2 x 7970m for $100 extra is indeed a good value. :thumbsup: The biggest gripes have been with Enduro, but you won't be bothering with that with a XFire setup. Many of the other bugs that come simply courtesy of development are also improving, and 13.2 BETA driver is constantly being revised, so I'd say go for it.

10. sewek1988

Reputations:
    Guys and how about micro shuttering with cross fire?? The new drivers fix it or is standard issue sli/cf. I think 7970m crossfire will be more efficient than gtx 680 soc or 7970 ghz edition:) and finally question stock speed on i7 3740qm will be good enought for cross fire or i need overclock to 3.9ghz to have better performace??

11. Tirenz

Reputations:
    I don´t think that you will have much microstuttering. I never realized it with 6970m crossfire and sure don´t know with 680m SLI. As long as the frame rates are high enough, you´ll never notice that.

The 3740qm should be enough for crossfire at stock clocks :).

12. sewek1988

Reputations:
    How About physyx ?? Can i emulate it with 2x7970m at playable framerate ?? Or its depends of cpu??

13. jaybee83

Reputations:
    depends on the cpu then since u wont be able to use the amd gpu for physics calculations :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. b0b1man

b0b1man Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    3740QM is the best value mobile processor right now.
    More than enough for you.
    And supports XTU overclocking (up to 4x I think).

15. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes you can take each of the turbo states (1, 2/3 and 4 core) up +400mhz which is 3.5 -> 3.9ghz for 4 cores loaded.