P35W V3 and P35X V3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by azizfrost, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markjk7

markjk7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    P35w v3 CF1 - mini review on my thoughts so far (hopefully help and answer some recent questions)

Reasons for buying – I wanted a light 15.6 laptop for web, watching video etc and occasional gaming. I started off looking at the Gigabyte P15F and then Asus G550JK but decided against the 850m with DDR3. I looked at several 860 and 870 options but with 970m being released decided to up my budget to get the latest option. I wanted subtle styling so too much red and glowing dragons were a negative for me although I still seriously considered the MSI GS60.

Initial thoughts – I really like the styling and the build quality seems pretty good, feels solid. Screen seems very good (I'm no expert) but watching video on it last night and colours etc all seem great. I have so far taken advice from users on P35x thread and resisted updating drivers, I have updated the Gigabyte tools via smart update, new versions are better and I actually find them useful. Advice was not to update drivers via smart update, but so far I've just done Nvidia ones direct from Nvidia, no issues with wireless or anything else so far though.

Performance – Gaming I've only really tried Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, runs on ultra settings and runs very well as you'd expect. I ran 3Dmark11 on settings Gigabyte note on their website and got pretty much 9000 with monitoring running in the background so no reason to doubt their figures. CPU throttling and heat keeps being mentioned, my findings were during 3Dmark on auto low fan speed 5% throttling although max read 41%, fans on max reduced this to 0% but it does get a bit loud... CPU gets up to 91 max which I assume it then throttles a bit, but actual laptop doesn't seem to get too hot. GPU seems to stay pretty cool I've forgotten actual figures but pretty sure it was around 75 max after playing Crysis for an hour.

Battery life – No idea how to really measure this, I unplugged last night, installed some bits of software (15mins) and watched video from HDD for 50mins and it reported 2hrs 44 remaining. Same charge and I'm down to 60% as I write this but now saying 3hrs 45mins left that's 30% brightness, wifi on. Its got a bigger battery than the MSI GS60 and same CPU so guess it should last longer, realistically I'd guess around 4hrs+

Noise – I'd check out the Gentech pc youtube review of the P35x, its probably a good guide. I hate commenting on noise as it's so personal to what you are happy with. To me it's just audible in a very quite room right next to me when at idle, gaming it's fine with fans on auto but you would probably be better with headphones or move it away from you slightly and plug into monitor/TV as I do, running it to the max fan speed you'd want headphones and the volume at a reasonable level. The fan noise is just air being pushed through a small space though so no whine etc.

Conclusion – so far very happy, I like the Gigabyte styling (sleek black box) , I like the spare and accessible mSata and HDD bays, I'm not worried by a bit of throttling of CPU I may try reducing turbo rates slightly on full core to reduce it as can't see the CPU will struggle in any game for a while.

Sorry it got a bit long but hope an opinion helps someone.

Arthedes and RobotDevil like this.
  2. lamanian

lamanian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    some people have had issues with the intel 7260 card but you can get a different card put in if you want. I however never had an issue with the 7260.

3. lamanian

Reputations:
    Sounds great just like I had hoped. Thx for the review.

4. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can any of you with the P35W v3 post the manufacturer/model of the screen? You can use the following tool to find the monitor specs.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. lamanian

Reputations:
    Anyone know why my 970m isn't showing up on hw monitor or cpu-z but it is in the device manager. Also it seems to be taking forever to download the NVidia driver update all the others ive done went smoothly. And last but not least why does my keyboard look like its wavy? Can I fix this if not its gonna be an issue.

6. DelFang

DelFang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try download the Nvidia driver from their website directly instead of through Smart Update; as for the keyboard, it's not absolutely flat, you can try to adjust it a little by tightening the keyboard screws at the bottom.

Regards

7. markjk7

markjk7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You should have a pull down with gpu#0 in hwmonitor change it to gpu#1 and it should show the 970. I downloaded nvidia drivers via nvidia experience no issues, smart update seems a bit slow. Not noticed any issues with keyboard you'll have me getting a ruler out to check it :)

8. markjk7

markjk7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine says 'LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD040E' hope that helps, guess it means it's an LG IPS

9. lamanian

Reputations:
    Well ive had my p35w v3 for 2 days now and seems to a pretty good choice. The only thing im not crazy about is the keyboard, mainly because there isn't a lot of travel on the keys, however when pushing down on keyboard there is virtually no flex. Track pad seems good, screen is gorgeous, battery life is great, seems pretty solid overall. I have yet to see my cpu temps go over 88c or my gpu to go over 78c although have only played Warcraft, swtor, civilization V, and will update if I see the cpu hit above 90c which im sure it will at some point. only other issue I did have was one of my SSD quit working for a minute but after I messed with its connector and restarted the computer it started working again so don't know what happened there . It wasn't a stock drive I had the 2.5 hdd replaced with a 256 SSD also had a ic diamond repaste.

10. jiexi

jiexi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How does this compare, quality and size wise, to a macbook pro? keyboard (flex) ? trackpack (smooth, fingerprints)? chassis (what's not metal?)?

Any issues of extreme heat that the laptop doesn't throttle itself for? Should I be worried about components failing early due to the heat of the 980m in such a confined space?

Is there any issue of the power supply not being powerful enough to keep the battery charged and power the laptop while gaming?

Any specific issues people have had with this laptop already? Sounds like some people can't get their hands on it. BIOS trouble? drivers? quality control issue? lid not aligned with base when closed? Anything that is an apparent issue already.

Thanks so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.