P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeerinho

jeerinho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going to Taiwan soon. Where exactly can we find this laptop there?

Deciding whether to go with this or P34G v2 or Y50 UHD.

2. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen a few people who have that carbon fiber skin for the laptop. Where do you guys get it?

davide.bassetti likes this.
  3. fatalhalt

fatalhalt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

So to install 2nd mSATA drive you have take apart the bottom cover? The use RAID0 on 2x mSATA drives, does the 2nd drive have to be also a Lite-on LMT-128M6M or could Samsung 840 EVO mSATA be used? Does the BIOS/EFI support running RAID0 on mSATA drives and will there be a speedup? Thanks.

4. TheMightyKnight

TheMightyKnight Guest

Reputations:
    I went for the Y50 UHD, because it has an amazing IPS screen ( and of course 4K).
    But I mut warn you, and anyone considering this laptop, that 4k is not properly supported yet by all apps (scaling), that the screen is locked at 48Hz (software issue apparently) and that although all other colours are beautiful, the yellows are mustard like (this can be fixed with color calibration and keeping screen at minimum 50% brightness). I bought it because apps will soon support 4k I hope, and because I think the 48Hz lock will be removed. I fixed the yellows as said before. For more info check on google "Y50 UHDscreen color calibration".

Also the screen is insanely glossssssyyyyy !!!! I ordered a screen anti-glare film to fix this. At the moment I can only use it in TOTAL DARKNESS if I don't want to hurt my eyes. But for 4k (sooooo beautiful), I am ready to make all those compromises. Good luck in your choice, I already summarised the key infos on the Gygabyte laptop (you can check the quote at the beginning of the thread). Make your choice accordingly. Hope I helped :)
    P.S.: 4hours browsing battery life with Y50 UHD (squeezed)
    Also the Y50 UHD runs very cool, CPU and GPU temps are excellent, the Gygabyte has very hight temps, but a better graphic card. The main reasons why I chose the lenovo is because of 4K and because I want to keep it for 3years (high temps of CPU and GPU of Gygabyte laptop make me think it won't last that long)

5. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have ubuntu to try this laptop? Would someone with raid 0 be willing to boot it to a live CD and run these commands? None actually change things, they just list things so I can check support.

lspci
    lsusb
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sd* /dev/md*

6. jeerinho

jeerinho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I've read about the yellow color and refresh rate issues in the Y50 UHD but I knew they weren't big fusses.

A month ago, it was my first choice. The best spec comes with 512GB SSD and is still relatively cheaper than most of the other slim gaming laptops.

Later came across the P35W v2 and it made me wonder how come Lenovo couldn't fit at least one mSATA slot into its relatively thicker chassis. Definitely don't need 2x SSD in RAID, but deep down I think it is nice to have at least ONE additional storage, although I'm not fully sure.

The battery is also not as strong as the Gigabyte. Not significant, I know, but together with the rear grills that serve no purpose other than aesthetics, I'm getting the feeling that Lenovo has been quite complacent in terms of the choices they made.

I'm now in a position where I wouldn't bat an eyelid if the Y50 had an additional mSATA. Likewise, the P35W v2 if it came with the cooler 860m Maxwell. Between 860m Kepler (as seen in P35G v2) and 870m, I would choose the latter since they're both hot anyways (at least that's what I've been told after reading on the GS60), and also because my country is not selling the P35G v2.

I'm also holding back from the P34G v2, partly because of its small screen size, until I see it in person as it is also not yet for sale in my country.

These days, been considering the Acer V Nitro Black-Edition too.

7. Fretze

Fretze Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I was thinking about buying this thing. However where I live it is really hard to get anything other than the Basic Version without an OS, SSDs and with 8gb of RAM. So my solution would be to purchase two 250gb msata SSD's by Samsung (or would one 500gb SSD be better?), along with the Laptop. Is there any reason wh this won't work or will everything be fine with that?

8. Rafael_paez87

Rafael_paez87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone know which model of internal bluray drive can i buy to use with my notebook?. I already have a dvd drive that came with the notebook. So, i want to buy a bluray drive and just replace the faceplate with the one that came with the laptop. Maybe someone that has a bluray drive which came with the notebook could provide me the model and brand please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Rafael_paez87

Rafael_paez87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any answer please???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. shempmalone

shempmalone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just get one 500gb drive. The performance gain you'll get from RAIDing the SSDs will be imperceptible and your system will be less reliable and less expandable. Upgrading the RAM on this machine is easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.