P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frobe

Frobe Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first post but I've been following this thread for a while, and you guys helped me make the decision on getting this laptop so thanks for that. So I've had this laptop for a few days now, and i've got two big problems:

First problem I've got is the screen. Basically the contrast is crap, and there's pretty bad light bleed coming from left of the camera and again about half way down the right side. Am I alone on this? Or is it a trait of the type of screen Gigabtye used?

The other problem is while gaming I'm constantly (several times a minute) getting momentary but really anoying drops of about 20 FPS (as in 20 down, not too 20). The drops don't seem to be coresponding with any spikes in GPU or CPU strain, so at first I thought it might be the WiFi, but playing on eithernet offers no improvment (with and without the 'lan optimizer') and I've ruled out the ISP/router as my old laptop is still doing fine. So that left me woundering about thermal throttling.

In my case it seems to be the CPU and not the GPU that's causing heat problems. Playing BF4 on high with a frame cap of 60 the GPU sits between 70-80c, the CPU on the other hand always sits between 89 and 91. It took an undervolt and an underclock to 2.9ghz to get it stable around 86, but even then intel XTU reports occaisonal throttling.
    So I tried underclocking to 2.5Ghz (which I reason is effectivly dissabling turbo-boost) and playing a much less demanding game, Counterstrike source. No throtteling reported in intel XTU, but still getting frame drops. Whats really anoying is I even get frame drops during HD flash videos, such as on youtube. Both on intergrated and the 870.

Anyone experianced anything similar or have any ideas on solutions? I've not seem these problems mentioned elsewhere in the thread so I'm starting to think I've got a bad unit.

2. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    http://www.ibuypower.com they're the cheapest and most customizable by far..and they ship to Canada for cheap.

3. Reks

Reks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you get pasting done? Could be heatsink not seated properly.

4. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just played a round of Battlefield 3 at ultra (antialiasing deferred turned off), and this is what I got:
    7a5c495746.png

Keep in mind that my CPU has been undervolted by 62.5 mV.

µGamera likes this.
  5. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you find that its too hot?

6. Korporal

Korporal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They might ship here cheap, but I would have to pay an extra ~$90 for duty. I spec'd out the same model on IBP and it came out about $10 more, although I would get a few free items to go with it (travel power adapter, headset, etc.) + $99 for shipping. Total came to $1912.55 after coupon code "boxbox5". With the exchange rate on top of that (*1.08), it would be definitely cheaper to buy it in Canada.

I'll most likely be buying this laptop if nothing better crosses my path within the next month or so.

7. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My old laptop with a GPU rated at 14 W ran Battlefield 3 on the lowest possible settings at ~80 °C. Keep in mind that this laptop is very thin, therefore there's less internal space for heat dissipation. By the way, that is the CPU temperature, so it should look the highest of the two. It's kind of odd that the GPU temperature wasn't recorded, but I'd say it averages at around 85 °C. I have also adjusted the undervolting to -60 mV now after a bit of usage.

8. peler39

peler39 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was about to purchase this laptop but after looking at some comment here, im hesitating because the laptop looks really hottt some people say with repaste and cooling pad still in high 80 scares me

Sent from my SHV-E210S using Tapatalk

9. Rafael_paez87

Rafael_paez87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All this thin gaming laptops are in the same range of temperatures. In the MSI gs60 the gpu reaches 93 degrees. So it's seems common for these slim laptops for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Taylorluke94

Taylorluke94 Newbie

Reputations:
    The high temperatures being reported don't bother me. What I'm concerned with is the longevity of these laptops. With such high temperatures, will these last 4-5 years from now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.