P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got mine! It's going to be awhile trying to split my data between three drives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

2. WhiteBoySHady

WhiteBoySHady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

haha sorry im Italian, its in our blood to do that :$
    yeah its efficient for sure. i agree im just arguing that no way he can achieve the performance of 870m, if he can good for him but im just saying its impossible

3. Reks

Reks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any comments on the speakers or sound quality?

4. dennis96411

Reputations:
    The fans are pretty loud to me. It's practically silent when I'm doing normal tasks, but once I start gaming it starts blowing like a jet engine. Maybe it's not as loud as the P35K, but still... Guess I'll have to get used to it.

onkelosuppo likes this.
  5. Reks

Reks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I expect noise while gaming that's just how it goes. Is the noise high pitched? What about sound quality of the speakers?

6. dennis96411

Reputations:
    There is a bit of high pitched noise when the fan is running fast. By using Smart Tools on my phone, the loudness of the fans running at maximum speed while at the sitting distance is around 60 decibles. As for the speakers, they're like what you'd expect out of any thin laptop; weak on bass and a little tinny.

By the way, how do I disable secure boot? The BIOS doesn't let me disable UEFI.

7. WhiteBoySHady

WhiteBoySHady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thats how the windows was installed... in uefi sorry bro and if you wanna turn off fast boot i think its from the power options

8. dennis96411

Reputations:
    Playing around with Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU. So far I've gotten it to -65 mV, which makes the CPU's total TDP hover around 40 W. Hopefully we can lower the temperatures with this.

UPDATE 1: I'm now at -80 mV. I just run the memory stress test for 3 minutes and hope it doesn't crash. Max total TDP with the iGPU idling is now at 42 W, compared to 48 W without undervolting. CPU temperature is now at 73 °C compared to 76 °C.

UPDATE 2: Got to -85 mV without crashing. At -90 mV it froze right after the test ended. Now I'm going to stress test it at -85 mV to make sure it's stable. Then I'll go mess with the graphics voltage.

UPDATE 3: -85 mV turned out to be too much. Going back to -80 mV.

UPDATE 4: -80 mV crashed after awhile. Dropping down to -75 mV.

UPDATE 5: -75 mV seems stable enough for normal tasks. I'm going to play some games and see if it holds up. CPU temperature is around 76 °C after running HeavyLoad for 10 minutes; no throttling occurred. Of course, gaming will truly test the CPU.

UPDATE 6: Looks like gaming broke its back. After playing BF3 for about 5 minutes, Windows crashed with MEMORY_ERROR. Back down to -70 mV we go.

UPDATE 7: So far, -70 mV seems stable for me. Played a round of BF3 on ultra. I limited my FPS to 65 using RivaTuner since anything extra is just a waste of power. CPU temperature went up to 85 °C; GPU temperature went up to 88 °C. I would highly recommend getting a cooling pad for this laptop.

Reks, onkelosuppo, µGamera and 2 others like this.
  9. Reks

Reks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good stuff, Dennis. Thank you.

10. dennis96411

Reputations:
    By the way, a few of Intel's programs crash if you don't exclude them from RivaTuner Statistics Server (FPS overlay from MSI Afterburner).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.