P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I heard a lot of good things about GenTech (even from HTWingNut, who is well known on this forum for detailed reviews and information), so I ordered from them. My laptop is arriving today, so we'll see how that goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

2. WhiteBoySHady

WhiteBoySHady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LMFAO Gentech all the way! they are the best company bro! if you want i can even ask them to come look at this forum he will give you a better reply and the proper contact maybe you messed up the number. but trust me i ordered a bunch from them.

3. WhiteBoySHady

Reputations:
    what country are you in ? could be the time diff as they open at 9am till 5pm or 6

4. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They're headquartered in California as well, so if you're on the east coast, you have to take into consideration the time zone difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

5. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    You need to spend a little more time becoming familiar with what the numbers mean.

90% better floating point
    95% higher texture rate
    50% more memory
    50% more memory bandwidth
    60% higher texture rate
    more "units"
    (and you completely forgot the 222% of the TDP! (100watts for the 870m 40-45watts for the 860m)

All of these numbers translate into (and these are the only numbers which matter in the least)
    30-40% more performance in today's games.

Note please that all the numbers you list are at stock speeds in ideal situations... the 870m often ends up with heat problems in the thinner laptops relevant to this topic.

The 870m will be heat-limited in many of these cases and not perform up to the ideals upon which you quote these numbers.
    The 860m is insanely easy to overclock and all the while running cooler than the 870m at stock.

The 30-40% is pretty much exactly what Nvidia usually shoots for between these types of models.
    30-40% in games is very believable... and thus it is entirely possible that a practical overclock can and will bridge most, if not all and more, of this gap.
    (in fact earlier mobile models have done just that and then some)

Drivers at this point are also well-tuned for Kepler, and not so much for Maxwell. You might still see a narrowing as the drivers mature.

All this adds up to the concept that the 860m overclocked might very well be able to close the gap to the 870m stock.
    (I am still "wait and see" about the practical results of the "typical" overclock, but the concept is definitely plausible.)

6. TheMightyKnight

TheMightyKnight Guest

Reputations:
    Ok, finally got gentech pc on the line. The person on the phone didn't sound very professional...
    But an email conversation with Ken made up for this.

Still, I am ordering at XoticPC because they have options that Gentech PC doesn't have.

Thank you for your helpful comments and propositions of help :)

7. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    She asked me if the Cayman Islands was a country.

Seems like iBuyPower is the best for US and Canada cause they give you a crapload of free stuff, but XoticPC has lower shipping.
    I'd pay 139$ for shipping from Gentech which is INSANE.
    All boils down to when I am getting the laptop now :mad2:

8. WhiteBoySHady

Reputations:
    another maxwell fan over here, i wasnt stating every comparison i just stated main examples and no the 860 maxwell will never get to that. nothing on earth will make it get to that. untill i see his numbers which will never happen. you're wrong

do you actually believe this guy bro....?
    [​IMG]

youre talking about 25-40% boost. you know how crazy that sounds ? thats the same amount of performance nvidia has between each graphics cards every year
    [​IMG]

9. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I mean personally I also think that NVidia releasing a cheaper chip that can outperform a more expensive one a tad backwards for lack of better words.

WhiteBoySHady likes this.
  10. chris_laptopfan

chris_laptopfan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No offence, but honestly i don't know, why you bring so much emotion into that discussion. Let's just discuss factually about that, without calling guys here fanboys or even liars... ;)
    I'm definitely NOT a maxwell fanboy (and no Kepler one as well). And in fact i find the 870m very attractive, because it's the often called "best bang for the buck". You don't have to justify your purchase at all. The 870m is a great performer, but IMO just too hot for a thin laptop.

But that the new Maxwell architecture is way more efficient, you won't deny for sure, right? It's not only hype for sure! ;) When looking at raw numbers the 870m absolutely crushes the 860m, but like ' KernalPanic' already stated, this nevertheless results in an actual performance difference of 'only' 30-40%, which is relatively low for those extremely higher numbers. Therefore i meant, i think you can't only compare raw numbers between those 2 architectures...

Actually i hardly believe that a 860m can really match completely a 870m, nor outperforming it. But the user HTWingNut already tested his OCed 860m and got some nice improvements. And if the performance rise through OC would be around 15%, then, calculated based on that, the 870m only would be 10-15% ahead of this 860m. So not outperforming, but closing the gap quite a bit.

I'm not too sure about very demanding scenes though, where the gpu gets stressed very much. Don't know if the 860m in those situations with min fps maybe could suffer from it's far less shaders, the narrower 128bit bus and so on...?!

What is it about Sebi's post? Why shouldn't we believe him? 'Prema' is working on a modified unlocked Bios for Sebi's machine. What about that is not believable and in the end, what would be the benefit for him to lie at us... ? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.