P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally, I am concerned about battery life when I am on the go. I do not game when on the go and GPU being used on battery is built-in Intel. Maxwell would not a thing for battery in my case.
    For those who play games while on battery, it could give extra 15-20 minutes (that's a wild guess). Don't know how useful that would be.

Overall reduction in heat and in power consumption with Maxwell while using it on AC is great, though.

2. Reks

Reks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    has there been a noticeable temp difference with the Kepler 860m vs the Maxwell version?

3. DaveKB

DaveKB Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, I meant gaming time while on battery.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are no laptops which has the options for both, so we can only assume by comparing two similar systems. For example, the owners of the Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338, which uses Core i7-4810MQ and a Maxwell 860M, are reporting temperatures within the 65 - 80 °C range while gaming; although a bit thicker, the laptop has only one exhaust fan and is considerably smaller. Unfortunately, I don't have any data from a laptop running the Kepler 860M, but I would assume the temperature while gaming would hover around the 75 - 90 °C range. The P34G v2 owners are saying that they will be able to overclock their 860M to match the performance of our 870M, so I'm kind of interested in seeing where that goes.

I think it's simply better to start with a new architecture, which has more room for improvements, than to reuse a somewhat dated one. It just seems like they're trying to use up all the remaining Kepler cores they have in stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

5. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can totally understand where you're going with that..But just to play devils advocate here, newer doesn't always mean better...My almost completely unrelated example of this is Windows Vista vs XP.

6. dennis96411

Reputations:
    Good point, but we're already seeing Maxwell beating Kepler in many areas; Vista was just bad to begin with. :p

7. dennis96411

Reputations:
    Looks like they beat us.

8. Rar9

Rar9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone can provide some first feedback regarding noise. Had the MSI GS60 and the fan was way too loud just for office work. Compared to my Lenovo Y580

9. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There's a built in fan application which prevents the fan from running any at all, I think you'll be fine in terms of office work.

10. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You got a link to that post because w/o it I don't know what the heck its talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.